Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An ex question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello :) I have myself a problem, would love some advice or fresh perspective on it :)

Okay, I'm quite sweet on an ex-girlfriend of mine. The thing is we've seriously messed each other about for ages and I would admit that I have done some bad things in the time we've known each other. I can admit them, I can appolgise for them too but sadly I can't take them back.

In the last three months she has been very distant and difficult to contact. I know she's been on a few dates and I know she has been talking to an ex over the Internet (ending messages with "love"). My feelings tell me that the quietness is because she is busy with someone but she claims her life is busy.

I think I'd like her back. Actually, I've asked her quite bluntly if she would consider having me back. Getting a straight answer has been difficult. Tonight we spoke, actually getting her to contact me was difficult enough. She wants to (possibly) go with someone else to see if she misses me. To see if she "misses" what she had with me. She was quite patronising talking to me but I guess she feels she has some power over me since I admitted my feelings to her.

Basically, she wants to be friends and try to work things out in her head. I don't really know what to say to that. I don't know why she wants to turn me into a friend and I don't know what I offer as only a friend? Previously, she has tried to hurt me to invoking some jealously in me. I have this nagging feelings that she is with someone else but that she is scared that telling me will mean that she will loose me as a friend. This is probably true, I wouldn't want to contact her and she knows that in this circumstance I would break contact. It's like she wants to do it gently thought, gradually getting me used to the idea.

Even if she wants to turn me into a friend. I just don't know what a few emails or text messages every so often is going to be worth to her or me? I don't really know what to think.

She's left it that she will reply to my messages but I have to write first. This isn't really what I wanted.

Comments

• Options
    Firstly welcome to the boards! Secondly, it pretty much looks as of the cards are on the table mate. You've told her how you feel and shes just kind of ignored it.
    The truth hurts sometimes but it looks as though she is trying to move on and you should try to do the same. Just take time out with your mates and chill out a bit.

There will be times when moving on that you hate her guts (thinking about things shes done) and times when you feel you cant live without her (thinking about all the good times together), but thats all part of the grieving process.
    Eventually you will look back and wonder what you were so hung up over but until you've had time to grieve over this you will never be true friends, it just wont work.
  • Options
    Perhaps you should give her some time???
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. It's nice to hear some genuine concern.

I know that she's been honest and it wasn't the reply I wanted. It's over and likely forever this time!

I'd love some insight into her thinking? Why make me into a friend, I am clueless what we offer each other as friends after being close?

If she does have someone new then why not tell me? I would prefer this - I need to hate her, know she is lost forever. Doesn't that seem reasonable?
  • Options
    She's making you into a friend-cum-back up plan which she can go back to if and when her little foray into the world of unknown men doesn't work out. I've done it myself before, and had it done to me, don't be someone's consolation prize. She's probably stringing it out for so long as she isn't yet sure of her new prospects, I don't blame her entirely and can understand her rationale but it isn't fair on you and you won't be able to move on until you get your straight answer. So I think you need to press her for it (though I suspect it won't be the answer you want, sorry).

The last sentence of your first post says it all. She has no interest in initiating contact with you, or hearing how your life is going. She is happy for you to contact her, for your head to be full of thoughts of her, but she doesn't want to put any time or effort into maintaining any kind of relationship with you. Romantic or otherwise.

Take care, mate, and keep your chin up. There are lots more fish in the sea, it'll just take a little time and a bit of heartache before you're able to see that. But you will :)
  • Options
    Thanks Briggi. What you said seems right. I don't denay her right to want to move on and be happy. In the time we've known each other we've 'split up' more than 'being together'.

For sake of it, I want to push her about this. I don't expect I will like the response but I would rather hear it. Just for me. When I think hard about it, I don't want someone who acts like this; lying, quiet and disinterested. It would be nice to hear the truth and set straight with something like "I don't want you and never have done".