Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Burnt hand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Somehow (since I am a complete prat) I've justmanaged to burn up the side of my little finger and across the palm of my hand with my rather hot straigtheners (they'd been on a bloody long time, and I think they heat up to 200 degrees or the such like.)

Now I've ran it under cold water for ten minutes, and it stopped hurting, but now I'm trying to move it it's complete agony. I did a search and read a thread Kaffrin posted, but everyone was bickering so I thought I'd post another, since my questions a bit more specific to the rest of my day.

I know all about puttng lavendar oil on burns, but what about other aromatherapy oils? I have aromatherapy massage to do today, and so far coming into contact with anything is making it sting like hell, and I can't actuallybend it very well, am I likely to be like this in 2 hours time? If so, I might have to wear a bloody glove to college :)

Comments

• Options
    If it still hurts, get it back under the cold water/ holding ice. Do so until it really stops hurting, if you take it out and it starts to hurt put it back.

It sounds like it could be larger than a 50p coin? If it is then the first aid line is that you should seek medical advice. If it's long and thin however it's less important.

If it starts to blister, show it to a professional.

I don't know anything about aromatherapy, sorry!
  • Options
    I just put it back under the cold water for a while but no change - if I'm going to college I don't have time to keep it there for much longer.

It's two seperate burns, the one on my little finger is long and thin, but the one on my palm/near my thumb is a bit bigger - more the size of a 10p than a 50p though. I'm assuming I closed my hand around it, although you can see a definete line up the midle of the circle where the straighteners were.

Darn it. I'll have to see what my lecturer says,I don't fancy getting all these pure oils all over my hand if they're going to mae it sting more :)
  • Options
    There's always ring NHS direct.....
  • Options
    I don't think you should be doing aromatherapy massage with an fresh, open wound on your hand my dear :) It won't be a pleasant experience at all (for you, or the person you're massaging, I imagine).

Time permitting you should ideally be holding it under very luke warm/cool (NOT cold) running water and then possibly making yourself some kind of cool, damp compress with a clean flannel or teatowel. Don't apply any creams or ointments yet, though you could take a paracetamol if you're in discomfort.