Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crisp Packet Keyring?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The other day, my friend was on about putting a crisp packet in the over or something, and it turns into a miniature one? and you hole punch it and use it as a keyring?

Is he pulling my leg? I asked someone else and they said they did it when they were younger too.

Does anyone know how to do it? :D

Ta x

Comments

• Options
    We used to do that with Hula Hoops pakets... I thought you put them on the grill though?!
  • Options
    Tis true, we used to do it as kids in the days before the internet.
    *suddenly feels old*
  • Options
    Haha well, when I was little, we played outside... in the fresh air. We made play theme parks with stones for pennies.

We didn't do any of this staying in and cooking a crisp packet crap!

So tell me, how is it done? :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's an old school things as yes it does work, though I've never tried it with the foil packets they use now.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    oh yeah!! we used to do that and we sold them too!
  • Options
    I so want to do that again. Next time I each crisps I will, so it'll be about a month away :thumb:
  • Options
    Yup, it's true. It's the same deal as shrinkles, if you ever had them. Don't think it works with the foil packets you get these days though.

In theory: preheat the oven to 160 degrees, punch your hole BEFORE baking, line a baking tray with ovenproof paper, pop your crisp packet in and watch it carefully. Takes between 30 secs and 3 mins, depending on thickness of plastic. take it out, put a layer of something like foil on top and put something heavyish and flat on top for a few minutes to flatten them.
  • Options
    Thank youuu.

So will it work with like, the cheap crisps you get.. like salt and vinegar sticks? I think they still come in like plasticy wrappers.

Yeah, I am so cool that I am going to do this. :D
  • Options
    Yeah, we used to do 'em when i was a kid. You need a plasticy bag that isn't (technical now) thermoset :) A lot of plastic has a 'memory' and when you heat it up, it will revert to the shape it was before it was stretched, like a yoghurt pot.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Tis true, we used to do it as kids in the days before the internet.
    *suddenly feels old*

*sympathises*

They'll be talking about making camps next...
  • Options
    How much have crisp packets changed in the last 4 years? It worked then with pretty much any of them, our YE company in school had a good line in making them and selling them as key rings, earrings, or just about anything else we could think of.
  • Options
    OMG People used to do that at school about 13 years ago. They are the cutest things ever. I could never get the hang of it though, I thought someone was joking as nothing happened to my crisp packet!! :(
  • Options
    Yeah I used to do that with crisp packets...ahhh the memories.
  • Options
    *sympathises*

They'll be talking about making camps next...

Or playing cowboys and indians and making a wigwam out of a garden cane and an old blanket.....
  • Options
    I'm sure the lads at school (high school dont worry) used to do them with lighters? I seem to remember sitting on the school field with them.

I'd love to make one now and put it on my car keys :D I'd want a Walkers one though, and I bet they're far too fancy pants to shrink now.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Or playing cowboys and indians and making a wigwam out of a garden cane and an old blanket.....

:hyper: sounds so fun!!! :hyper:
  • Options
    I used to do this and forgot all about it till I saw this thread! I wanna do one again. I'll take pics if I manage to do it correctly.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

Or making "trackers" - bikes put together with all the usable bit from wrecked bikes and then ridden through woods. Mountain Bikes are luxury in comparison. I have fond memories of heading down a half mile 1:4 hill with no brakes... bike helmets weren't even an option then...
  • Options
    ^_^ wrote:
    The other day, my friend was on about putting a crisp packet in the over or something, and it turns into a miniature one? and you hole punch it and use it as a keyring?

Is he pulling my leg? I asked someone else and they said they did it when they were younger too.

Does anyone know how to do it? :D

Ta x

i never knew about it either, just mentioned it to my mate and my boyfriend though and they looked at me all wierd cause ive never done it lol
  • Options
    Or making "trackers" - bikes put together with all the usable bit from wrecked bikes and then ridden through woods. Mountain Bikes are luxury in comparison. I have fond memories of heading down a half mile 1:4 hill with no brakes... bike helmets weren't even an option then...

Or go karts... made out of an orange box and an old set of pram wheels, steered with a piece of string.....
  • Options
    Today I decided to follow up the claims from this thread. I put my crisp packet in the oven :D

Before and after photos, with a fork for comparison of size.
  • Options
    well thats my night sorted for tomorrow!

does it work with other things? like cigerette packets and cd cases?
  • Options
    *used to do this too*
  • Options
    My friend once made me a mobile out of lots of tiny crisp packets it was so cool - I love craft stuff - i'm already saving loads of things for my as yet unborn children to get messy with!