Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hellllp!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am having major issues with my puter. Basically I've had it about 14 months and it started to run reeeeeeeeeeally slowly. So someone said I probably needed to virus check it and shizzo as the norton thing expired dec 2005 so i d/ld spyware dr and its got worse. the screen kept going blue then it kept restarting so i tried ad-aware and it got worse so i've wiped off all the shit. now it wont let me log into msn/hotmail/facebook, anything really with a login.php. I don't know why. And I can't fix it. Also it WILL NOT let me remove the norton shizzo. I tried using the syn....exe thing and it will not work. I'm gonna take it in but like its my birthday and i cant get to my emails :(

Comments

• Options
    Good PC health means that you need to make sure that you use up-to-date anti-virus software, regularly install the operating system patches released by Microsoft and install anti-spyware software like Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/product_comparison_chart.php) or Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx).

Also, do you have a firewall running on your PC? If not, your machine may have been commandeered by trojans or worse.

All of the above can slow down your PC to almost uselessness.

It sounds likely that your PC may need to have its operating system wiped and reloaded. It will be quicker than trying to source the problems as it stands at the moment.
  • Options
    In my opinion it sounds pretty fecked. I would get all the data off it that you need and rebuild the machine.

Load some decent anti virus on it, get some spyware software as well.

Ive tried to clean old computers with viruses on them, but it takes longer to clean than re-build. Plus when cleaning it you are never sure how much damage its done.
  • Options
    I am having major issues with my puter. Basically I've had it about 14 months and it started to run reeeeeeeeeeally slowly. So someone said I probably needed to virus check it and shizzo as the norton thing expired dec 2005 so i d/ld spyware dr and its got worse. the screen kept going blue then it kept restarting so i tried ad-aware and it got worse so i've wiped off all the shit. now it wont let me log into msn/hotmail/facebook, anything really with a login.php. I don't know why. And I can't fix it. Also it WILL NOT let me remove the norton shizzo. I tried using the syn....exe thing and it will not work. I'm gonna take it in but like its my birthday and i cant get to my emails :(

I'd say time to copy all your data off of it and format the hard drive and start form fresh .. you'll of course need someone who knows what they're doing.

Even better if you use a custom made Windows CD that doesn't install all the crap you don't use in the first place.
  • Options
    I've had it about 14 months and it started to run reeeeeeeeeeally slowly

Backup your data. Wipe it and start from scratch. Only way to cure it, anything else will just be delaying the inevitable, IMO.