Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Forcing the sale of a house

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all. I have an agreement with my ex that I pay both mortgages and we have 2 properties in joint names. She lives in the former matrimonial home and I have taken some equity from the former matrimonial home to buy my own house. I have agreed to pay her mortgage and personal maintenence for 2 years. This I intend to do. At the end of this 2 year period we are supposed to come off of each others deeds transfering each property into the sole names. However I do not trust that she will do this. I live alone and she has 2 dependents (I am not the father) could she at any time take me to court and force me out of my home? By forcing me to sell it? Even though I keep to my side of the bargain?

SDA.

Comments

• Options
    You need to speak to your solicitor about this.

As a general rule of thumb do not agree to anything unless it is signed and sealed as a proper contract after taking legal advice. If you have nothing in writing then she very well could refuse to transfer herself from the proprietorship register for either or both properties, causing you problems. And for your part, you could refuse to do so too.

As you are the registered proprietor of the property you will not lose your rights in the property, but a family court could enforce a sale of both properties so that her equity is released. As you have a property each it is less likely that this will happen, but you do need to take legal advice about your rights as a matter of urgency.
  • Options
    sda wrote:
    Hi all. I have an agreement with my ex that I pay both mortgages and we have 2 properties in joint names. She lives in the former matrimonial home and I have taken some equity from the former matrimonial home to buy my own house. I have agreed to pay her mortgage and personal maintenence for 2 years. This I intend to do. At the end of this 2 year period we are supposed to come off of each others deeds transfering each property into the sole names. However I do not trust that she will do this. I live alone and she has 2 dependents (I am not the father) could she at any time take me to court and force me out of my home? By forcing me to sell it? Even though I keep to my side of the bargain?

SDA.

Sooo complex, you better go see a Lawyer or citizen's advice thingy,

But sounds to me you better make your situation a lot less complex, two homes?
  • Options