Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

STI's - can anyone shed any light on this?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To cut a long story short my mate rang me at work yesterday, in tears sayin her fella had been to the docs and the docs said its more then likely an STI, so he is going to get it checked. But they have been together 3 years (I think) and he swears dead he aint been cheating or anything. So she is gutted and belives he is cheating, I thought he has too, well I thought if you get an STI then your symptoms come out straight away (if you have any) not in like 4 years, but my fella who is best mates with him (all us 4 are really good mates) says that sometimes symptoms dont come out for a long time (if you get me?!) so what he's saying that he hasnt cheated, but the STI if from a previous relationship, at least 3/4 years ago and has just come out.

So is this ture or are they bull shitting?? I just dont believe them. Are there any STI's that dont 'come out' till years later?? My mate said her fella said he hadnt has sex with anyone for a year and half (or someting like that) before they got together, so he has had an STI for about 4/5 years and it hasnt 'come out' till now, I just dont believe it!

Please can anyone give me advise, help, or shed any light on the subject!! I feel so sorry for my friend, she is gutted.:(

Ta:)

Comments

• Options
    Aparently chlamidia can stay hidden for years and just screw up your insides so i guess yes, he could be telling the truth
  • Options
    Yes sometimes sypmtoms don't come out straight away - don't know which STIs or how long it can take, someone will come along and reply soon enough with facts.
    Don't forget though, it's not confirmed he has an STI yet.
  • Options
    I said to her that I thought Chlamidia can stay in the body for ages, and she went mad saying if he has gave it her he is daed - cos it can stop a woman having babies?? She said he hasnt worn condoms in years cos she is on the pill.

Gosh, I feel so sorry for them both. Her especially cos she is devestated, she is more worried if he has got chlamidia and then she wont be able to have kids. My mate did say she is sticking by him and supporting him untill he gets the results, if he has got an STI she said she is gonna ask the nurse if it can stay in the body ages and if she says no, then she says its over.
  • Options
    Sometime symptoms don't show for years.

You can also get infections/diseases down there than get treated by a GUM clinic that are not necessarily sexually transmitted, they can be but aren't necessarily.

Thrush is the obvious one, if someone has it they will probably pass it on to their partner, but it'c not just sexually transmitted (hope that makes sense).

If he fessed up just like that before knowing for sure it seems unlikely that he's been cheating somehow, you'd have thought he'd wait til he knew for sure until stirring trouble.
  • Options
    She should go to the GUM clinic and get herself checked out too, talk to them and get her questions answered. Maybe offer to go with her and hold her hand!

I don't know the circumstances, but it's possible that they've both had it for ages and it came from her...
  • Options
    She is going to get her self checked out she said. She told me ages ago that both of them kept having thrush, so that might be someting to do with it?:chin:
  • Options
    Did either/both of them do anything about it? Could well be related if not (may not have been thrush then).
  • Options
    Don't forget, chlamydia doesn't necessarily mean infertility - it can do if left untreated, but if caught early enough, you can cure it and still have children.