Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family stuff - Grrr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a rant really...

I've been invited to my cousin's 18th birthday. Now please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against my cousin, although my father's side of the family are methodist (and yes, my 18 year old cousin uses the word 'coloured' to describe people who are black and 'common' to describe low income people), they are nice people yet I don't feel that comfortable with them...

Of course the party is 'no alcohol... bring your own if you want it' and I respect that, but at the same time there's the whole issue of my parent's divorce.

See my Mother and stepdad have been invited, as have my father and his girlfriend (i.e. one of the many women my Dad had an affair with when he was still married to Mum before leaving us in a cold house and not going through the correct legal procedures to get away with not paying full child support - wanker :mad: )... Now I found out the other day that on my 18th birthday when my Dad and his girlfriend came his 'lady' had a 'funny turn' (she's an alcoholic) in the toilet and my Mum spent the night trying to help her...

Yeah, my Mum is too nice.

Anyway... I know a lot of people here know I've had some 'issues' with my family and I'm just about getting over them, but I'm worried my cousin's birthday will bring them back. I don't want to be around my Dad's girlfriend... She's one of the few people I honestly believe has a cold heart and she has a drink problem and I don't want her touching me or talking to me (not because she's an alcoholic, but because she did some nasty things)...

I also don't want my Mum to suffer... I mean she's over Dad now, but I don't want his girlfriend to come near us...

I know I'm a terrible person for still holding resentment for the things she did to us, I should really grow the fuck up...

Also... It may sound stupid, but I feel like my cousin is the daughter my father always wanted... She's bright, she's a good Christian and very musical (I am not Christian, not too bright and I hate performing). I hold no anger towards her, but I feel it's how he wanted me to grow up to be.

I really don't know how to feel about going to this party. Are my feelings justified? Should I talk to my Dad and his girlfriend? Am I just being a selfish littlew madam?

Comments

• Options
    I know I'm a terrible person for still holding resentment for the things she did to us, I should really grow the fuck up...

Also... It may sound stupid, but I feel like my cousin is the daughter my father always wanted... She's bright, she's a good Christian and very musical (I am not Christian, not too bright and I hate performing). I hold no anger towards her, but I feel it's how he wanted me to grow up to be.

I really don't know how to feel about going to this party. Are my feelings justified? Should I talk to my Dad and his girlfriend? Am I just being a selfish littlew madam?

You are not a terrible person at all - I think your feelings are quite justified. If you don't wanna go, then don't go. Make your excuses - a little white lie never hurts in this sort of situation to soften the blow, i.e "oh me and my friend have had something planned that night for ages and ages now". If you're still getting over what these people did, then I actually think it's best to stay away for now.

And a sidenote - if the're all such good Christians, why don't they do something about her alcoholism? These people make me chuckle sometimes...
  • Options
    You are not a terrible person at all - I think your feelings are quite justified. If you don't wanna go, then don't go. Make your excuses - a little white lie never hurts in this sort of situation to soften the blow, i.e "oh me and my friend have had something planned that night for ages and ages now". If you're still getting over what these people did, then I actually think it's best to stay away for now.

And a sidenote - if the're all such good Christians, why don't they do something about her alcoholism? These people make me chuckle sometimes...
    Well she isn't a Christian, my Dad is. I don't know if they know about her alcoholism or what sort of person she is to be fair.
  • Options
    I don't know if they know about her alcoholism or what sort of person she is to be fair.

That would figure I guess...
  • Options
    Just don't go, say you have plans. There's no way of pussy footing around the situation. If I don't want to go somewhere, I don't go, family or not. You don't sound very close to them anyway, so that's a bonus.
    Aren't you really busy at the moment with your degree and numerous environmental commitments? If you really want to lie and give them a different reason, use this.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go, I'd find a reason not to. If it's just going to make you unhappy, and you're not that close to your cousin anyway, then what's the point?
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    I wouldn't go, I'd find a reason not to. If it's just going to make you unhappy, and you're not that close to your cousin anyway, then what's the point?
    I guess... But at the same time, maybe it's my duty to and I can't always keep running from things? Also, I may see relatives I haven't seen in years (like my Auntie Phyllis).
  • Options
    I guess... But at the same time, maybe it's my duty to and I can't always keep running from things? Also, I may see relatives I haven't seen in years (like my Auntie Phyllis).

Is your brother going, or has he deiceded agaisnt it as well. You either dont go and make up some excuse or if you really want to go, go for a couple of hours speak to the realatives you want to and leave. I dont blame you for not wanting to go, you've had a rough ride regarding your family. I you do go you might to explain to your mum beforehand why your not going for very long (I'm sure she'd understand) and stay well away from your father.
  • Options

Do you want to see Auntie Phyllis? If you havent seen her in such a long time, does it matter that you don't see her again soon? Just because these people are 'family' does not mean that you have to do anything that makes you unhappy.
  • Options
    Make arrnagements to see the family you want at otehr times. You don't have a duty to any of these people. I'm sorry but you need to stop being pathetically nice and dutiful to these people. It doesn't make you a better person for it. It just makes you unhappy. Be true to yourself for a change and make some selfish decisions, it's everyone's right to be selfish sometimes.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Do you want to see Auntie Phyllis? If you havent seen her in such a long time, does it matter that you don't see her again soon? Just because these people are 'family' does not mean that you have to do anything that makes you unhappy.
    Yea but I never see her, Dad never took us to see family (only really him and his gf went most times) very often and she lives really far away. Plus I am studying in London and they all live in Cheshire of the Lake District. I mean my uncle died and my brother and I couldn't go to the funeral ('no children' or some bull like that... naturally his girlfriend went)...
    Is your brother going, or has he deiceded agaisnt it as well. You either dont go and make up some excuse or if you really want to go, go for a couple of hours speak to the realatives you want to and leave.
    No idea if Jon's (my bro) going, I hope so then I can hang around with him.

It's not that I don't want to go, I am not fussed... I just don't know how to feel, especially seeing my Dad's girlfriend who did some really sick stuff to us... But if we don't go then she's won. She's claimed my family and my father as her own (she didn't like him spending time with us)...

I'm confused.
  • Options
    I would ask my bro to go too, if he wasn't up for it I'd probably not go and not feel bad about it either.
  • Options
    No good at advice but just wanted to say I dont think you are being selfish at all reading that.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    No good at advice but just wanted to say I dont think you are being selfish at all reading that.
    Yeah but I mean, it's about my cousin's birthday, shouldn't be about me at all.

Have decided to go, but will try to avoid my Dad and his girlfriend as much as possible and otherwise be polite.