Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

English Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right I have to entertain a collegue on Monday night. Its his first ever visit to the UK from India and it will be his first "real" meal out.

I think i should take him to a vaugely English restaurant so he gets a taste of the culture (after all he is only here for a week and is staying in the Indian YMCA which is like a little slice of India in the middle of London) - but everyone else in the office thinks that its a terrible idea and I should take him out to eat something "familiar"......

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Take him to the chippy!
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Take him to the chippy!
    :yes:
  • Options
    I would but apparently chips are a little to exotic for Indians - see the thing is i'm quite adventuors when it comes to foreign food and will try most things once before saying I hate them and I'm always happy to eat Indian food in India with the Indians - in India
  • Options
    take him to a bistro type restaurant - soup, meat/potato/gravy etc, apple pie and custard etc.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    take him to a bistro type restaurant - soup, meat/potato/gravy etc, apple pie and custard etc.
    That sounds good too. :yum:
  • Options
    Chicken Tikka Masala, isn't that the nations favourite dish :)
  • Options
    Hum well the thing is he gets free Indian food in his accomodation so we could go and eat there so then why are we bothering to take him out to get a feeling for the UK.

however the office suggests I take him out for turkish food which won't be so scarily different............
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If it were me, I think I would want to ask him if there is anything he fancies trying, and then have a backup or two if he has no opinion.
  • Options
    Roast dinner.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Take him to a pub that serves good pub food. Sheperds Pie, Steak & Ale, Toad in the Hole, Roast Dinner etc
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    yeah, a pub type place might be good cos most usually have a couple of vaguely indian dishes if he wasn't feeling adventurous.
  • Options
    I asked and he said he likes eating non veg Indian food - hummmm

Maybe mexican - but then the beans might be scary - but i'm also thinking lebanseese.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    How about Rodizio Rico on Upper Street? It's a full on Brazillian grill house - meat, meat and more meat by the sound of it. Jim V really rates it.
  • Options
    The Indian YMCA on Maple St? I used to live in that building :D

Since you're so close to Charlotte St, how about you ask him what he fancies, and take a trip there, plenty of restaurants after all. If he's into his Indian food, I'd recommend the South Indian restaurant on Cleveland St, just on the otherside of the BT tower.
  • Options
    When you are used to one culture's type of food and nothing else it can be a shock trying new things.
    I suggest something where he can try different things. Something like a buffet type place or where you can order small portions of lots of things.
    Having just one main dish runs the risk of him not liking it and going hungry!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Something like a buffet type place or where you can order small portions of lots of things.
    Having just one main dish runs the risk of him not liking it and going hungry!

:yes: good point - the place I suggested is buffet style.
  • Options
    Surely you have to look for somewhere where you can ask for "the blandest thing on the menu" and "12... no... 15 bread rolls"
  • Options
    How can you dis English food? It's scrumptious if you can cook or find a good restaurant.
  • Options
    take him to a pub where there is a curry on the menu if he doesnt fancy eating something english
  • Options
    Surely you have to look for somewhere where you can ask for "the blandest thing on the menu" and "12... no... 15 bread rolls"

:D

I'll never tire of it
  • Options
    :D

Thanks, classic.

I did wonder if anyone would get the comment
  • Options
    lol well I didn't have a clue so joke's on me :p even though I haven't looked at the link yet
  • Options
    Take him to a 'pie and mash' shop in the east end :)

There will be nowhere else in the world he can get true london grub.

You can even have jellied eels.

If he doesnt like it at least he can say he tried!

Cal
    :thumb:
  • Options
    I actually like jellied eels :grump:

Take him to a greasy spoon!!