Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how do you know if your in love?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    If you want a dictionary definition, I like this one:
    A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair.

It's a bit wordy, but the trouble with love is that it encompasses a lot of different feelings, so you can't really define it simply. You also most likely won't have a moment where you're like "Yes, this is it, I've fallen in love". It's more of a gradual process - you meet a girl and you're attracted to her (maybe by her looks, or by her personality, or both) and there's something often described as 'a spark' which makes you feel like you'd like to be more than friends with her. So you get to know her better, and over time (sometimes not much time at all, sometimes ages, depending on the individual person) you realise how great she is - you love spending time with her, you really care about her, you're very attracted to her, you want to be with her more than with anyone else. When you get there, it's love. Or that's what I think, anyhow.
  • Options
    been 'dun.

:) It's quite obvious that the answer isn't obvious.
  • Options
    you constantly think about them and smile all the time when theyre there and your heart beats fast and you get nervous when theyre around. and when theyre gone you really really miss them.
    well thats my definition anyway from experience.
  • Options
    you constantly think about them and smile all the time when theyre there and your heart beats fast and you get nervous when theyre around. and when theyre gone you really really miss them.

Yes, and when you KNOW that you would do anything for them, you are so in love that nothing else matters in the world except them... they occupy your mind and soul...
    You know if you're in love with someone.... there's no real definition, you just know...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've felt this exact thing in the past. And I came to realise it wasn't love. There's simply no way to be 100% sure, as far as I know, because even when you indeed are 100% sure you could still be wrong.
  • Options
    Im 24 now and I think its fair to say I havent really felt like that about anybody.

Hopefully it will happen one day :)

:thumb:
  • Options
    Its the greatest thing in the world .. but on the flip side it can be the worst thing in the world when it all goes wrong.
  • Options
    when you accept and love their faults as well as traits, could see yourself being with that person forever, consider them in *all* your thoughts, have a big grin on your face just by thinking about them, and cant imagine life without them.

thats my definition anyway, others may be different :)
  • Options
    It's the same as "How do suffocation feel like?"

you will definitely know when it's that far.
    If you are not sure if you are in love, chances are you ain't.
  • Options
    You notice it more when things are on the rocks and the prospect of the end becomes a possibility. That's when it really fucking hurts. So much.

Sorry, I'm a bit down as you can tell.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Blah wrote:
    when you accept and love their faults as well as traits

:yes: that's a good one.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm of the opinion that if you have to ask the question "how do you know if you are in love" then you probably aren't in love.

As crap as it sounds, you'd know when you were, I think.
  • Options
    Knowing they love you back, and feeling utterly secure with them helps as well.
  • Options
    when you stop finding it weird that you include them in all your plans for the future.
    and when your pissed of at them knowing theyr the only person who can really make you feel better.
    when you feel down the instinctual feeling that once you see them itll feel a bit better.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    It's the same as "How do suffocation feel like?"

If you are not sure if you are in love, chances are you ain't.

Agree completely.

It is the best of times, and the worst of times. To steal a line from some little-known author somewhere ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    StrubbleS wrote:
    That might be true (I have no experience to disprove it) but it doesn't work the other way around. It's very possible to "definitely know" that you're in love and be wrong.
  • Options
    i find that you just know you are when you are. i agree with most of you, if you have to ask then you propably are not in love.