Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

applications not launching...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this one's stumped me.

I just went to play GTA:SA for the first time in ages. DVD in the drive, I double click the icon, DVD drive wirrs into life, but nothing happens on screen. no error message, nothing. Same happens if I hit "play SA" from the DVD splash screen.

so I reinstalled, disabled my firewall / virus checker / anything else... same thing happens! no error message... the gta_sa.exe process appears in the task viewer for a few seconds after clicking the icon, then disappears...

oddly, I have a demo of medieval total war 2 that also doesnt run. although this gives me the standard microsoft error message saying the application encountered an error and had to close.

other applications run fine, oblivion works, sim city 4 works, dawn of war works. I guess I've upgraded my gfx card and ram since playing GTA:SA last, but all the drivers are up to date, so that shouldn't have broken anything...
no spyware on my system either, having just scanned it.

any ideas?? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Try renaming our GTA:Sa folder in my documents, or someshit. Then reinstall, ok?

I think that *might* help, as sometimes changing system affects its settings. Copy the old savegames over tothe nnew folder if it works.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yay that worked :) thanks

how odd!

medieval total war 2 demo must just be broke, as per my original theory before GTA broke too :)