Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rant and question about toilets!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok does anyone know anything about toilets? Sounds odd but i will explain.
Ok we rent a house from a housing association, so anything goes wrong they should fix it...

Well tonight the toliet downstairs isn't working properly. You know when you flush the toilet and it puts water from the tank into the loo well it won't stop. It is filling up constantly like the stop cock (think thats it) is stuck. Not leaking though as the toliet just clears.
So ok lift the lid you say and unstick it, we can't. They fitted those toilets that have buttons in the top so the lid doesnt just come off.

To cut a long story short, they refuse to do anything now until monday when we have to phone again. It's going to cost us a fucking bomb in water (we are on a meter) and it's like having a tap on all weekend.
So i asked the snotty man if knightstone were gonna pay our water bill then!!!

Anyone know how you get those bugger lids off without breaking it? Also do you agree with what they did?:mad:

Comments

• Options
    Is there an isolation tap for the bathroom as a whole? Some newer buildings will have them, then you could just turn off the bathroom, which would be consequence stop the toilet filling up.
  • Options
    Umm where would it be if there was one?
  • Options
    I think you mean the ball cock? We've been having the same problem and we've been having to take the lid of the cisten and filling it with water outselves but only so much that you can hear the water stop.
  • Options
    Somewhere along one of the pipes leading in to the bathroom.
  • Options
    Yeah thats what i mean't but we can't take the lid off ours as they decided to stick these bloody fancy things in which stops you taking the lid off :/
  • Options
    This seems to be fairly common problem -

Having exactly the same problem with my Roca toilet, installed a year ago. To get into the cistern, you need to press down one side of the flush and then pull out the other side. You can then lift out the remaining button, and that lets you access the screw. Had a plumber look at the problem, he reckons that its due to the white plunger bit catching on the blue bit (sorry, not very technical but if you have a look it should make sense) - his verdict was a design fault. We haven't worked out how to fix it yet, but might just try replacing that part

See

http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-214750.html
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Isn't there a valve to cut off the water supply to the toilet next to the toilet itself? :confused: There should be.
    If not, then ask them to pay for the water. It's not your fault it got spent, but theirs.
  • Options
    If you can get the toilet lid open with the method described in that web page, then you should just be able to wedge something under the ball cock to keep the valve shut until the silly man comes to look at it on Monday or whenever.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Anything like this? There should be one, it's a big mistake for the designers if not.
  • Options
    Mist i love you lol sorry laura ;). I've fixed it, do you know what the fuck was wrong, FUCKING MORE DODGY BUILDERS!!!! There was a bit of plastic, that is obviously something they didn't need so they left it in there and it got caught!!
  • Options
    How lame ...

At least that has fixed it. .Hope you can get the lid back on now!
  • Options
    lol already done it and it works :D bloody cold hand though from that water.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    Mist i love you lol sorry laura ;)

:o

:razz:

Glad it's all fixed though :)
  • Options
    I work for a housing association and we have to tell a lot of people that they need to wait. There are fixed time scales for certain problems and you have to prioritise who comes first. At this timne of year emergency engineers are all usually booked out to vulnerable people with no heating/water. There are also all kinds of other emergencies that need attending more urgently, so yes you might feel like you are in need but there are probably people in much more of a greater need than you.

edited to say it sounds like you have 2 toilets, so therefor you will not be top priority as there will probably people that only have one toilet and if it breaks, they will come first.
  • Options
    Also, we do refund a lot of water bills if we cannot get to people within a certain time, you have to put it in writing to someone like you housing officer etc.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    If you have another toilet in the house, take the cover off the cistern, put the ball cock as high as you can then place a book or something hard along the cistern top and rest the ball cock on the book. When the ball cock is low water rushes out, when it reaches a certain height the water stops. So at least you can stop the water temporarily until it is fixed.

Or you can buy a new valve which is probably the problem.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    If you have another toilet in the house, take the cover off the cistern, put the ball cock as high as you can then place a book or something hard along the cistern top and rest the ball cock on the book. When the ball cock is low water rushes out, when it reaches a certain height the water stops. So at least you can stop the water temporarily until it is fixed.

Or you can buy a new valve which is probably the problem.

If your saw what i wrote, it was getting the lid off that was the problem.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I work for a housing association and we have to tell a lot of people that they need to wait. There are fixed time scales for certain problems and you have to prioritise who comes first. At this timne of year emergency engineers are all usually booked out to vulnerable people with no heating/water. There are also all kinds of other emergencies that need attending more urgently, so yes you might feel like you are in need but there are probably people in much more of a greater need than you.

edited to say it sounds like you have 2 toilets, so therefor you will not be top priority as there will probably people that only have one toilet and if it breaks, they will come first.

I do totally understand that but it's hardly fair for us to pay a huge fucking water bill when it's not our fault and not our toilet is it?
    It's expensive enough without adding a stupid toliet to it.
    It's sorted now thanks to mist but it was still pissing water for a good few hours which is gonna cost a fair amount i would guess.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    If your saw what i wrote, it was getting the lid off that was the problem.

Sorry i misread your question. There must be a way to take the lid off the cistern or it would be impossible to plumb. Is there any type of fixing around the back? something must be holding it down etc.....
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Sorry i misread your question. There must be a way to take the lid off the cistern or it would be impossible to plumb. Is there any type of fixing around the back? something must be holding it down etc.....

You haven't read the replys have you ;).
    It's sorted now, as mist posted how to do it. Ta anyway.
  • Options
    lmao im all over the place this morning :razz:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I do totally understand that but it's hardly fair for us to pay a huge fucking water bill when it's not our fault and not our toilet is it?
    It's expensive enough without adding a stupid toliet to it.
    It's sorted now thanks to mist but it was still pissing water for a good few hours which is gonna cost a fair amount i would guess.
    they do sometimes refund for loss of water chick, you have to put it in writing and they look at your case
  • Options
    If it was the whole weekend then i definately would have done but as it wasn't i probably won't bother as i can't see them sorting it.
    We are STILL waiting for shody building work to be sorted out, as the house was only built last october and the builders were crap.
    I kinda give up in the end, next time the bath overflow leaks they will be sorry they didn't sort it sooner.
    Sorry bit annoyed today if you couldn't tell ;)
  • Options
    ah so it would have been contractors that would have to sort your toilet out and not the HO as your house should still be under defect
    Contractors are usually pants at sorting their crap out, so it's no suprise you have been waiting a while for building work.
  • Options
    I dunno who does what now, i think last time we had a prob (emergency) housing ass sent someone out and then billed Redrow.
    I tell you what i wouldn' t have paid all that money the rest of them have for these houses. They were very badly built.
    The town houses are going for like £260,000 wtf. I know its bristol but they aren't that special.
  • Options
    that is extortionate for a HO, my company do really good prices on houses to buy.

does your H/O do the 50/50 or 75/25 shared ownership on houses to buy?
  • Options
    Yeah they do the 75/25 i think it is. I don't see how people can afford it though as you pay mortgage and rent don't you? If you can afford to do both, surely you can afford to buy outright?
    Not our worry though as we are renting and happy to do that for now. Not all the houses here are ho. Theres only a few, apparently every new build has to have some for the ho.
    Don't get me wrong we are lucky to be here as we were made homeless and ae very lucky to get a house let alone a new one BUT i personally wouldnt buy one of them.
  • Options
    well it's for people that can't get a full mortgage, you may be able to pay for both but the banks will only give you a certaim amount depending on wages. it's for people that are moving up in the ranks etc and know that in a few years time they will be earning more.