Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

De Menezes copper kills again

A firearms officer involved in the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes shot a 42-year-old man during a police operation in Kent.
The man died later in hospital after the incident at a Nationwide building society in New Romney on Tuesday.

Scotland Yard's CO19 firearms unit were supporting Flying Squad officers as they tackled a suspected armed robbery.

Mr de Menezes was shot dead after police mistook him for a suicide bomber at Stockwell Tube station in July 2005.

The BBC's home and legal affairs correspondent, Margaret Gilmore, said: "Sources have told me one of two officers who shot dead the innocent Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell last year also shot and injured a man during this operation."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6108530.stm

Do you think they get a medal when they bag 5? :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Little leading aren't you? The reports all say he was there when de Menezes was shot, not that he pulled the trigger. More to the point, don't you think that it's worth waiting til the report comes out on why this bank robber was shot dead before making any even remote comparisons?

Or does one mistake mean all are mistakes?
  • Options
    According to the Hatemail, which I couldn't bring myself to link, he was one of the two guys who pulled the trigger in the Menezes killing.

Of course, it might all turn up that he was justified in shooting this one. As it indeed looks the case, if reports that the bank robber shot first are true.

I'm merely reflecting on the coincidence. And perhaps on the thought that he shouldn't have been in firearms duty after the Menezes case.
  • Options
    Policeman does his job in preventing an armed robber killing?

Hang the cunt!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:

Hang the cunt!

Yup. Especially when we dont know the exact circumstances, and the chap he shot just MAY have been unarmed doing nothing!

I'll wait out with my judgement on this. Although, if it IS like De Menezes killing, I daresay an records of the event are going to be unavailible, and we won't ever know.
  • Options
    Like 99% of police marksmen incidents, the person who got shot will have deserved to get shot.

Contrary to public opinion, coppers don't take potshots at people because they think its a great game. Mistakes happen, like the de Menezes killing, but for the most part the armed squad do a good job in protecting the public. The innocent always underestimate how hard it is to kill a person.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that this is news. Not all police are trained in firearms, so it's not exactly surprising that one member of the team that shoots one suspect might some day shoot someone else.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Hang the cunt!

Thats exactly what they said after Menezes Kermit - policeman does his job by killing suicide bomber.

Not that I'm saying that the suspected armed robber was innocent: its just interesting that people come down on the side of their prejudice, despite knowing next to nothing about what actually happened.
  • Options
    It's not really prejudice to say that a man with a firearm in a building society was very probably an armed robber.

If he isn't, well, time for a murder charge, but it seems to be muck-flinging at someone doing their job. The officer should be in jail for what happened to de Menezes (for missing him as much as hitting him) but this seems to be an utter non-story.
  • Options
    I do find it frustrating when somebody who is trained to do a job, like a police marksman, is suspended etc whenever they actually carry out the role they are trained to do.

Sure, there are mistakes, such as de Menezes, but for the most part they are dealing with people who are brandishing weapons or replica weapons, or threatening people etc.

One headline last night said it was "Kill or be killed". I know which I'd rather do.
  • Options
    The problem here is that there have been a number of high profile massive fuck ups, for which nobody has been punished in any way of form.

So whenever a cop is actually justified in shooting a suspect people tend to remember the many times when he was not and nobody was penalised for it.

De Menezes was certainly one. The two Muslim brothers a few months ago was another one. The Scottish bloke who was killed for sounding Irish and carrying a wooden table leg in a bag was another. In every case all those involved got away scott-free. In at least two of those cases there was a deliberate attempt of a cover-up (surely a crime punishable by custodial sentence- certainly for us civilians). And to cap it the chap in charge of the Menezes operation got a promotion shortly afterwards.

It's no surprise that some people will automatically think given such background.
  • Options
    You mean the same scottish bloke who'd be boasting in the pub that he had a gun and then walked around with the table leg wrapped up in a bag?
  • Options
    Yes, the Scottish bloke whose accent was mistaken by one of an Irishman (and therefore bound to be a terrorist), and then gunned down on the street.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The Scottish bloke who was killed for sounding Irish and carrying a wooden table leg in a bag was another. In every case all those involved got away scott-free.

:rolleyes: It was a mistake. The police were told Harry Stanley was carrying a sawn-off shotgun - it's not particularly common to walk around with a table leg in a bag. The police may also have been aware that Stanley had a history of violence with convictions for armed robbery and GBH. Stanley pointed the tableleg disguised by a bag at a police marksman - the marksman thought it was a sawn-off shotgun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3974461.stm
    http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=437&id=674072002

And I don't think the police officers 'got off' - they made an awful mistake they have to live with and were hounded by the press, suspended, arrested and investigated over several years.
  • Options
    The one who ran from people shouting "stop, armed police"?

Aladdin, you love to find fault with people who don't necessarily deserve it. Everyone who I've spoken to agrees, you don't run if you've got nothing to hide. DeMenezes ran because his visa had expired and no, I'm not saying he should die for it, but if armed police tell you to stop, and you run, you've probably got a reason for it, so you can't exactly be surprised if you get shot for it. What you forget is that the police here aren't trigger happy, they're really good at their jobs, sometimes people die, but you can't expect an armed policeman who is watching someone who's reported to have a gun run away with what could be a sawn-off shotgun in a bag to not open fire, or to be charged with murder when they do and they're wrong. What's also unfortunate is that to stop someone you have to aim for the torso, which is frequently a leathal shot, it's the way it is.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, the Scottish bloke whose accent was mistaken by one of an Irishman (and therefore bound to be a terrorist), and then gunned down on the street.

You really believe some absolute bollocks. If an armed police officer thinks someone is pointing a shotgun at them they couldn't give a toss about the nationality of whoever is pointing the gun at them. Whether Stanley was English, Irish or French the tragic outcome would have been the same. The left typically wants to cry racism where there is none and undermine the police. (And armed police do a very difficult job, they deal with pressure and stress alien to most of us and have to put up with the constant criticisms of the left).
  • Options
    In the world, Britain has one of the lowest rates of deaths caused by police shootings. I would guess this is because our police marksmen are incredibly well trained.

Would you prefer all of our police were routinely armed as in most other countries? Arming all officers might mean police officers using firearms are not as well trained as is presently the case...
  • Options
    :rolleyes: It was a mistake. The police were told Harry Stanley was carrying a sawn-off shotgun - it's not particularly common to walk around with a table leg in a bag. The police may also have been aware that Stanley had a history of violence with convictions for armed robbery and GBH. Stanley pointed the tableleg disguised by a bag at a police marksman - the marksman thought it was a sawn-off shotgun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3974461.stm
    http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=437&id=674072002

And I don't think the police officers 'got off' - they made an awful mistake they have to live with and were hounded by the press, suspended, arrested and investigated over several years.
    There were and still are doubts about the set of events that led to the man's shooting. Certainly there isn't anyone to tell us other than the coppers involved.

I have trouble believing that

a) the man pretended the leg was a gun, raised the bag and took aim at the coppers

b) the coppers weren't trigger happy

I know it's different in other countries, but in this country we don't (or at least didn't use to) have a policy of 'shoot first, ask questions later' you know...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The one who ran from people shouting "stop, armed police"?

Aladdin, you love to find fault with people who don't necessarily deserve it. Everyone who I've spoken to agrees, you don't run if you've got nothing to hide. DeMenezes ran because his visa had expired and no, I'm not saying he should die for it, but if armed police tell you to stop, and you run, you've probably got a reason for it, so you can't exactly be surprised if you get shot for it.
    You're quite wrong there Fiend- De Menezes didn't run at any point in the morning he was killed.

He calmly walked into the bus, calmy walked into the tube station, calmy scanned his travelcard, calmy descended on the escalator, and calmy sat down at a carriage and waited for the train to depart.

Contrary to the police's initial statements he did not run, he did not jump the tube barrier and he was not asked to stop at any point during his journey. Furthermore he was not acting suspiciously, he did not have a bulky, heavy jacket and he did not have cables protruding from it.

Though that is what the right hon. Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair claimed in the aftermath of the killing, only and reluctantly to retract it all a couple of days later.

It's not just the monumental fuck up that led to De Menezes' death and that should have caused a good number of coppers to face justice for their criminal negligence, but the continuous attempts at cover up and whitewash 'inquiries' that time after time fail to punish any copper of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

Look at the Muslims brothers who got 'mistaken' by terrorists. One of them gets shot in the arm and the coppers first tried to say his own brother had shot him. While in fact had been a trigger happy copper. Oh I'm sorry, he was wearing thick gloves so the shot just rang off by accident. Yeah, right.
  • Options
    In the world, Britain has one of the lowest rates of deaths caused by police shootings. I would guess this is because our police marksmen are incredibly well trained.

Would you prefer all of our police were routinely armed as in most other countries? Arming all officers might mean police officers using firearms are not as well trained as is presently the case...
    Sometimes there are accidents. And sometimes there is negliglence. That is unavoidable. But what people expect (foolishly perhaps) is that when there is a fuck up, there are consequences for those involved, not promotions and free holidays.
  • Options
    So, in fact all you've established is that there was one incident where police have made a shocking error, not three.

It's hardly completely unbelievable that a copper who's been told he's raiding a terror cell when he's knocked on the stairs squeezes the trigger. It's just really unfortunate that it and the demenze thing happened so close together. The next nearest example was half a decade ago.
  • Options
    Did anyone watch the Panorama 'When Cops kill' a few weeks ago. It pretty much explained the ballistic evidence for Stanley.

Though lets be fair there's certain people who's idea of justice is

200px-WitchfinderPoster.jpg
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So, in fact all you've established is that there was one incident where police have made a shocking error, not three.

It's hardly completely unbelievable that a copper who's been told he's raiding a terror cell when he's knocked on the stairs squeezes the trigger. It's just really unfortunate that it and the demenze thing happened so close together. The next nearest example was half a decade ago.
    What we've established is that out of the last 3 controversial shootings, the police had lied about two of them. We have also established that unlike everyone else in Britain and indeed the world who would at the very least lose their jobs if not be prosecuted for criminal negiglence, the UK police appears to enjoy immunity for their actions even when there has been appalling negiglence.

So in the two shootings where there were live witnesses and/or CCTV, it was established that the police fucked up and then tried to cover it up. Forgive then for doubting the version of events given in the one shooting where the only witnesses were the two coppers who shot the guy.