Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do women that wear vails drive?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was just wondering if women the wear vails drive? as i see this as a danger to other drivers and themselves. i think women have the right to wear and dress in a way that makes them feel right but if they drive does this make them a danger on the road?

Comments

• Options
    So long as they don't cover their eyes I don't see what the problem is.
  • Options
    If we're talking the kind of veils that only leave a slit for your eyes then I would think it would completely hammer any peripheral vision.
  • Options
    Yes I saw a woman this morning wearing one. I have a friend with one eye,if she an drive then I can't see why they can't.
  • Options
    yeah but surely but covering the fast and only showing the eyes that Restricts the view of the driver?
  • Options
    Territt wrote:
    yeah but surely but covering the fast and only showing the eyes that Restricts the view of the driver?
    I have no idea, I have never worn a veil so don't know if vision would be restricted. I'm sure it wouldn't be legal if the vision was obstructed but who knows? Maybe the law hasn't even considered it yet. Took ages for them to consider mobile phones and drivign etc.
  • Options
    I think sikhs are exempt from wearing helmets on motorbikes, but that only affects their own safety. But I wouldn't see a problem with wearing a veil and driving, since I'm pretty sure you still get full vision. The only issue I can think of would be if they were pulled over by a male police officer, and needed to identify themselves.
  • Options
    In places such as Saudi, women who wear the niqab have the opportunity to drive in cars with all darkened windows so they can take their veil off, but I'm not sure what the law is regarding dark windows in the UK since we have seasonal weather with dark winters.

Anyway, I thought only a tiny proportion of women in the UK wear the niqab? If it's a case of driving safety, I'd much rather we focus on problems such as drink driving, mobile phone use, dangerous cyclists first. Are there any stats on RTAs and a woman's religious dress? What about hoodies while driving? Not to mention that some brands of sunglasses can cut spots of peripheral vision.
  • Options
    I tried driving with my hoodie hood up, and took it down about 30s later and turned the heating up instead!

I presume if ones veil obstructed ones vision it would come under 'driving without due care and attention' or something like that.
  • Options
    Another thread about Muslims.

They're all out to get you, you can hide a bomb in those veils I tells ya!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:

i really didnt start the thread as an anti-muslim thing, its just i was talking to some friends and it come up
  • Options
    I think sikhs are exempt from wearing helmets on motorbikes, but that only affects their own safety.

I'm sure this was mentioned in a GCSE RE lesson. I think we got told that there are helmets that Sikhs wear which have the turban (?) on them.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I'm sure this was mentioned in a GCSE RE lesson. I think we got told that there are helmets that Sikhs wear which have the turban (?) on them.

i think that was in a only fools and horses show
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Yes I saw a woman this morning wearing one.

Snap
  • Options
    If we're talking the kind of veils that only leave a slit for your eyes then I would think it would completely hammer any peripheral vision.
    You are legally allowed to wear glasses with really small lenses which gives the user a really bad peripheral vision (I don't agree with this).

Also you can legally drive if you are blind in one eye.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Also you can legally drive if you are blind in one eye.
    only the left ;)
  • Options
    I realise you can drive in silly glasses, personally I don't as I don't think I have sufficient vision.

My comment was merely an observation.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:

Yes, let's not discuss it. Lest someone take offence.
  • Options
    Yes, of course they do, a woman on my street does it all the time.
  • Options
    Veiled women in Saudi Arabia certainly don't. Saudi women aren't allowed to get a driving license. For identification purposes it could be said veiled women driving is not ideal. Certainly, fully veiled women driving must be prepared to remove it if requested by a police officer. As for the safety aspect unless the cloth is covering their eyes I am not sure how it would be a problem.
  • Options
    my friend had a disease that sometimes makes her limbs pop out of joint and also sometimes suffers from severe muscle spasms and she was allowed to drive a year early to make it easier for her to get about as walking was difficult....seems dangerous somehow...what if her leg popped out and she hit the accelerator or brake for that matter an ran into someone....we have really dumb driving laws in this country!