Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling lonely

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello guys,

I hope this is the right forum to put this?!

Anyway, I moved town about 3 years ago and since then, I haven't managed to make any friends. Whenever I go out, I always go back to my home town to see 3 of my old school friends. It was the same there really - I never met any friends except the 3 people I stayed in contact with from school.

I'm feeling very lonely and would love to have a few close friends - if I fell off the face of the earth only my family and girlfriend would notice! I've always been very shy, so its always been a challenge but I have coped up to now with not having friends - what can I do to meet people? Bearing in mind my initial reaction will more than likely be anxiousness due to my shyness!

Help!

Comments

• Options
    Infernoid wrote:
    Hello guys,

I hope this is the right forum to put this?!

Anyway, I moved town about 3 years ago and since then, I haven't managed to make any friends. Whenever I go out, I always go back to my home town to see 3 of my old school friends. It was the same there really - I never met any friends except the 3 people I stayed in contact with from school.

I'm feeling very lonely and would love to have a few close friends - if I fell off the face of the earth only my family and girlfriend would notice! I've always been very shy, so its always been a challenge but I have coped up to now with not having friends - what can I do to meet people? Bearing in mind my initial reaction will more than likely be anxiousness due to my shyness!

Help!

Tell us where you live and ask nearby thesiters to go out sometimes. It's the easiest solution...

Don't look at me tho, I am - most probably - a thousand miles away from you.
  • Options
    how about going out with your girlfriend and meeting a few of her friends, it's like a big web of friends, u meet girl's mates, meet their boyfs and so on
  • Options
    How old are you? Are you at uni? Do you work?

The best places for meeting new people are at uni and at work- either people are more open to being social, like at uni, or you spend that long with them you can't help but get to know them. My work has a really good social scene, too, which is good if you're a bit shy.

There isn't really too much to advise, going to hobby clubs and such like is a good way of meeting people, but its only really very effective when you're still at college or uni.

Does your gf not have friends of her own? Some of my best friends are my wife's best friends too. One of my best mates up here is the husband of my wife's good friend from work.
  • Options
    Bristol eh. Catch a train up to york and have a pint :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The best places for meeting new people are at uni and at work-
    true that. or sports / other clubs. the gym is a good place to meet people tbh.
  • Options
    i have that problem to kinda-except i dont have a boyfriend
    i have about 8 close mates but they've been the same for 5 years and its boring we just do the same things every week and i want someone new to talk to etc cause its pointless
    im gonna to change college to hopfully meet new people but if that doesnt work im screwed really:/
    at least you have a girlfriend so you cant be that shy...
    i guess just try join new clubs etc
    also if you like music, going to gigs is always good as i end up talking to lots of people there although they dont often live close to me
    good luck