Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

norethisterone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know that there have been a few threads in the past about using norethisterone to delay a period but i cant seem to find an answer to the question i have so wondering if anyone knows...

I am on the progesterone only pill at the moment (cerazette) and as you know, that wont regulate or stop my period. My period is due sometime around this weekend (i'm irregular & can never pinpoint a date for sure) and I am going away on a road trip this weekend so I really do not want my period at that time.

I've taken norethisterone once about 6 months ago to delay my period when i wasnt on any pill (it worked great) and i still have some of the tablets left so I was intending to take those to do it again this time. but i have a question - will the norethisterone in any way affect the effectiveness of my normal contraceptive pill? (i know norethisterone doesnt work in itself as a contraceptive but i'm just worried it would stop my pill from working or something). cant seem to find an answer on the internet either so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    no idea babes - never even heard of it. But, becasue you are having lady troubles I'd probably aviod taking anything extra at the moment if it were me.
  • Options
    well, it became irrelevant to me as my period arrived 6 days early :S so i didnt have the chance to do anything about it (and to be honest, I know Katralla is right that I shouldnt have done it anyway).

but, in case anyone in the future has this same question - I rang NHS direct and asked them - they said (calling me back 4hrs (!) later) that they couldnt say for sure and I should go to my local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.

The pharmacist said its safe to take both for a short period of time and the contraceptive would still be working :)