Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coffee

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long do the effects of caffine in coffee last for? Like if I have a cup now will i be able to sleep at half 11? I once had coffee just before bed and i didn't sleep properly all night, but had all these crazy dreams where i was still half awake! Was creepy and don't want it to happen again :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    i wouldnt drink coffee past about 7pm if i wanted to go to sleep at 11.30.
    Some people can drink it and it doesnt have much effect, but I always notice it if i drink it in the evenings.
  • Options
    By 11:30 it'll mostly be pyschological though, you should be able to sleep fine if you want to and don't think the caffeine is keeping you awake.
  • Options
    i dont think so. The effects of caffeine will likely still be there after 2 hours.
  • Options
    But probably not enough to keep you from sleeping if you're ready to!

Well different people different things and it depends how you make your coffee!
  • Options
    I must have a high tolerance, doesnt stop me from sleeping, only tim it works is when i have 3 in a row, with about three spoons in each on hangover/come down days. Iget a headache though so dont do it often.
  • Options
    The half-life of caffeine — the time required for the body to eliminate one-half of the total amount of caffeine consumed at a given time — varies widely among individuals according to such factors as age, liver function, pregnancy, some concurrent medications, and the level of enzymes in the liver needed for caffeine metabolism. In healthy adults, caffeine's half-life is approximately 3-4 hours. In women taking oral contraceptives this is increased to 5-10 hours,[42] and in pregnant women the half-life is roughly 9-11 hours.[43]
  • Options
    ah ok think i will give it a miss then :)
  • Options
    have tea instead :p
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    have tea instead :p

Isn't that just as bad?
  • Options
    Yeah Tea has as much caffeine as Instant Coffee does...but not 'real' Coffee
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    How long do the effects of caffine in coffee last for? Like if I have a cup now will i be able to sleep at half 11? I once had coffee just before bed and i didn't sleep properly all night, but had all these crazy dreams where i was still half awake! Was creepy and don't want it to happen again :nervous:
    They say not to have caffeine 5 hours before bed.
  • Options
    The stimulant effects of caffiene do normally fade after about 4 hours or so, but thats really only half the picture, it also reduces the level of meletonin in the brain, which is the brains way of knowing when its time to go to sleep.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Isn't that just as bad?

Not really, black tea also has chemicals in it which act to combat the effects of caffeine, and fruit infusions don't have any caffeine at all.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Not really, black tea also has chemicals in it which act to combat the effects of caffeine, and fruit infusions don't have any caffeine at all.

And of course tea doesnt have as much caffiene in it, and has a slightly different form which doesnt last as long
  • Options
    I thought that tea had the same amount of caffeine as instant coffee? Obviously not the real Coffee though...
    I remember downing 6 black coffee's at work to keep myself awake during a very long, tiring and late shift...only to find I had been drinking de-caff! :lol:
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote:
    only to find I had been drinking de-caff! :lol:

unlucky :lol::lol::lol: