Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Naval Piercing Infection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, ive had my belly buttin pierced for about 3 years now and it has all of a sudden become infected. it is really sore and tender to the touch, extremely red and swollen. every time i put or move my belly ring it hurts really bad. is there any solutions to cure my infection? thank you:confused:

Comments

• Options
    I use Savlon wound wash when i have a problem with my piercing. I'd also advise a trip to the docs as well you might need some antibiotics.
    savlonspray.jpg
  • Options
    Wash it lots with any kind of antibacterial wash, if it's hot to touch at all (compared to the surrounding healthy skin), oozing pus or anything like that then take it to a doctor or walk in centre very soon. Otherwise if it doesn't get a lot better in the next couple of days go and see the doctor.
  • Options
    Wash it lots with any kind of antibacterial wash, if it's hot to touch at all (compared to the surrounding healthy skin), oozing pus or anything like that then take it to a doctor or walk in centre very soon. Otherwise if it doesn't get a lot better in the next couple of days go and see the doctor.

All above apart fom use warm salt water two/three times a day to keep it clean, even old peirceings can get infected from time to time.
  • Options
    only touch it when cleaning it, and make sure your washing your hands first.

Did a change of jewelery material trigger the infection? If so, remove that jewelry and replace with something you dont react to
  • Options
    Besides going to the doctor you can by a different type of ring/bar. They do them at jobananas.com. Theyre like plastic, the actual name escapes me but i use them when i knock mine alot and it hurts a little. Pregnant women use them too.

Also make sure jeans are below and dont rub and then put surgical spirit, thats always cured mine! Hope that helps but if its looks funny or has puss then def go to doctors.

Kitts xx
  • Options
    My last piercing went a bit nasty, I went to my gp. At first they told me jutsto take the jewellery out, but when I pointed out to them that that wouldnt actually cure the infection, they reluctantly put me on a course of antibiotics. So I'd definitely get myself down to see my doctor and use an antiseptic wash like savlon or salt water in the meantime