Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Badger Balm (Sleep)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I'm having troubles sleeping. When I was younger I went through about 8 years where I suffered badly with insomnia. I went through a few years of finally getting some decent kip in but I'm finding myself getting very little sleep. Finding it hard to switch off and finding myself never feeling very refreshed in the morning, waking in the night etc.. I try to refrain from nodding off/napping in the day where possible, I try to ensure all my work is done so I'm not stressing but I also find myself a bit of a night owl, I intend to work better at night - probably cause it's quieter. I don't tend to work too much in my room as I get distracted and also it's quite small, I don't want to associate it with stressing and working as well as my place of rest.

Basically I was browsing the sleep stuff and I don't wanna take something that'll knock me out or that'll really induce sleep rapidly. I want it to be more 'natural' and would like to try something herbal. My mother used to give me anxiety reducing/relaxing tabs from Rescue Remedies but I found they did little. I've spotted Badger Balm and looked up their website, seemed ok but just wanted to know if anyones tried or has any ideas for something to try that they've had success with.

Thanks peoples :)

Comments

• Options
    Basically I'm having troubles sleeping. When I was younger I went through about 8 years where I suffered badly with insomnia. I went through a few years of finally getting some decent kip in but I'm finding myself getting very little sleep. Finding it hard to switch off and finding myself never feeling very refreshed in the morning, waking in the night etc.. I try to refrain from nodding off/napping in the day where possible, I try to ensure all my work is done so I'm not stressing but I also find myself a bit of a night owl, I intend to work better at night - probably cause it's quieter. I don't tend to work too much in my room as I get distracted and also it's quite small, I don't want to associate it with stressing and working as well as my place of rest.

Basically I was browsing the sleep stuff and I don't wanna take something that'll knock me out or that'll really induce sleep rapidly. I want it to be more 'natural' and would like to try something herbal. My mother used to give me anxiety reducing/relaxing tabs from Rescue Remedies but I found they did little. I've spotted Badger Balm and looked up their website, seemed ok but just wanted to know if anyones tried or has any ideas for something to try that they've had success with.

Thanks peoples :)
    I use melatonin (sleep hormone) to get me to sleep straight away and I use magnesium to calm my nerves. All of those are natural remedies.

I have never heard of badgers balm though.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I use melatonin (sleep hormone) to get me to sleep straight away and I use magnesium to calm my nerves. All of those are natural remedies.

I have never heard of badgers balm though.

you must take about a squillion tablets everyday.
  • Options
    you must take about a squillion tablets everyday.
    I inject what I can. ;)
  • Options
    i havent tried badger balm but ive seen it in boots.
    I have boots botanics lavender spray and their sleepy temple balm, and they do help a bit.
    I also try and have a mug of malted milk before bed.
    All these things help
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

Isnt melatonin a hospital only script drug in the UK? I have no idea why but thats certainly what I've been told it is.

I didnt really find it did me any good.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Isnt melatonin a hospital only script drug in the UK? I have no idea why but thats certainly what I've been told it is.

I didnt really find it did me any good.
    It has recently been put on script I think, it was once openly sold in shops like H&B as a natural supplement but then was banned back in 2000 and something. I buy alot of my stuff from America where its still sold as a nutritional supplement and endorsed as one. I have seen some British/European non pharmaceutical sites that sell melatonin along with other herbal products.

Here is some info on it if anyone wants to know.
    http://www.melatonin.com/

About 10% of users dont respond to it, so you could well be in that percentage.
  • Options
    Hey
    I just found this page on natural insomnia remedies... hope it helps ;)
  • Options
    I have always been interested in Valerian root. When I was looking it up once, it had so many do's and donts that may cause trouble breathing and in some cases death. Needless to say that was the last time I looked at it.

Another favourite supplement I use for sleep is Gaba, it causes instant drousiness.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Another favourite supplement I use for sleep is Gaba, it causes instant drousiness.

As in the chemical messenger in the body already?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    As in the chemical messenger in the body already?
    Correct
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Correct

How do you use that?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    How do you use that?
    The gaba comes in a powered form. I just cap it up and use it like that. I have heard of trans dermal and sub lingual gaba, which IMO may prove better as gaba is best absorbed on an empty stomach, but I haven't come across nor used them.

Heres the specific product I use.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hp/gaba.html

Heres some info as well from the site.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gaba.html
  • Options
    Strange, and just giving the body loads more of its own chemical messenger doesnt cause any problems?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Strange, and just giving the body loads more of its own chemical messenger doesnt cause any problems?
    It boosts, not replaces.

Take steroids for example, you replace natural testosterone with synthetic testosterone, which may cause problems. Where as gaba on boosts whats there anyway.
  • Options
    Here is some info from another forum reguarding gaba.
    http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=616491&highlight=gaba