Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety and Valium

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've always been a complete stresshead but lately in my final year at uni it seems to be taking over my life. I'm constantly worried about everything and find it really hard to switch off. My doctor prescribed me sleeping pills but I don't take them every night because I don't want to have to rely on them.

I have some form of academic anxiety (so they like to label it :rolleyes: ) and it really gets to me. I never think my work is good enough and I worry about failure even though I'm at one of the best universities in the country and my marks are good so far.
I have to give a presentation next week in front of about 30 people and I'm sooo scared about it. My pet hate is public speaking, psychologically I always think I can get through it but its the physiological effects that completely take over. It's classic anxiety symptoms (stupidly fast pounding heart, redness, sweating, can barely speak etc) and it's just a downward spiral that I can't stop happening.

I've got some valium (diazepan) which apparently helps with anxiety, but would it actually have any effect in this kind of situation? I'm prepared to try anything, but I really need it to work!

If anyone has any advice it'd be great...thanks :(

Comments

• Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    I've always been a complete stresshead but lately in my final year at uni it seems to be taking over my life. I'm constantly worried about everything and find it really hard to switch off. My doctor prescribed me sleeping pills but I don't take them every night because I don't want to have to rely on them.

I have some form of academic anxiety (so they like to label it :rolleyes: ) and it really gets to me. I never think my work is good enough and I worry about failure even though I'm at one of the best universities in the country and my marks are good so far.
    I have to give a presentation next week in front of about 30 people and I'm sooo scared about it. My pet hate is public speaking, psychologically I always think I can get through it but its the physiological effects that completely take over. It's classic anxiety symptoms (stupidly fast pounding heart, redness, sweating, can barely speak etc) and it's just a downward spiral that I can't stop happening.

I've got some valium (diazepan) which apparently helps with anxiety, but would it actually have any effect in this kind of situation? I'm prepared to try anything, but I really need it to work!

If anyone has any advice it'd be great...thanks :(
    Sounds like your under alot of stress. :(

Please dont use any prescription drugs unless your DR knows/has prescribed them. You can get hooked on valium as much as sleeping tablets.

You could always seek into natural remedies rather than sleeping pills etc. For instance, I use melatonin which is the sleep hormone and it gives me a great deep nights sleep. Other natural sedatives like magnesium help calm my nerves.

But seriously dont use the valium unless your DR has prescribed it.
  • Options
    i think it helps, but personally, im not sure about diazepam. Most people take 2mg 3 times a day, for me that would do nothing. Occaisionally ive taken 5 or 10mg and it does take the edge of a 'i cant take this shit no more' situation. Its a long-acting benzodiazepine so ud be better taking it the day before and see how it affects u, because you wont take it and suddenly feel chilled, unlike temazepam which is a short but faster acting benzo that makes u feel like uve had a bit to drink.

My friend used to get in a right state over having to do presentations, and her doctor gave her propranolol, which is a beta-blocker.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

HIT - Thanks, yeah I have tried a couple of herbal remedies but they don't do anything in my experience.. I think a large part of herbal remedies is psychological, so it doesn't seem to work for me.

Sikorah - Yeah I wasn't sure about the dose of diazepam, I was thinking that 2mg might not be enough. Also I was gonna take it in the morning of the day, as opposed to the day before, but I see your point.
    I have been to the doctor, but he didn't seem keen to prescribe me beta-blockers. He said I should have an EEG first to record my heart etc but I haven't booked one because obviously they're not gonna notice anything abnormal when it's at resting pace.

Does your friend take propranolol every day or just when she needs it? My entire family take beta-blockers to regulate their heart so it's probably hereditary in part, but I would rather have a drug I can just take when I need it.
  • Options
    i got given propanolol for panic attacks - obiously it doesn't get rid of what causes them, but helps control them in the meantime

at first i needed them every day as i'd have a panic attack as soon as i got in to school, eventually they eased but i still take them every now and then when i'm feeling really on edge.
  • Options
    Has your doctor put you forward for any other type of treatment other than valium?

Surely something like CBT would be far more effective in the long run than just dosing yourself.
  • Options
    Just to reinforce what others have said, it's really not a good idea to self prescribe. If you're going to try valium you should always do it under the supervision of your doctor, and you may find that there's a non-medical option you could try first.
    There are lots of more natural ways to try and stay calm too. Regular exercise, good diet and a few drops of Rescue Remedy at bad times will all make a difference.
    Check out our section on Anxiety and Stress to read up more and find some tips, particularly our Coping with stress article/podcast.
  • Options
    Well I went to the doctor and he prescribed me a low dose of propanolol. Ballerina - do you know what dosage you were taking?

Thanks for the other responses - I have tried calming/breathing methods, rescue remedy, the lot..but there's nothing that helps. I also do alot of sport and have a good diet, but there's nothing to stop the physiological stuff once it's started. I'm gonna try this propanolol this week and see if it makes a difference. I don't want to rely on it or anything, just want it for as and when I need it.

Bongbudda - The doctor did mention CBT, but I assume theres a waiting list for therapy like that and I'm sure there's people who need it more than I do. I have tried to tackle it from the perspective of controling my thoughts etc and taking beta-blockers to control it is a last resort really, but I will try to keep it to occasional use.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    Bongbudda - The doctor did mention CBT, but I assume theres a waiting list for therapy like that and I'm sure there's people who need it more than I do. I have tried to tackle it from the perspective of controling my thoughts etc and taking beta-blockers to control it is a last resort really, but I will try to keep it to occasional use.

But its keeping from doing things which you need to do, I'm not suggesting you need to sign up for full blown therapy for years, but a few sesions might help. Its got to be better than just taking something to mask your emotions.
  • Options
    Propranolol is usually 10mgs or 40mgs 2 or 3 times a day. I think. Or a slow release 80mgs. But with it being a beta-blocker one of them could be the dose for high blood pressure.

My friend just took it for 2 days. 1 day to see how it affected her and then the next day for her presentation.