Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to ask?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When asking someone for something through text, is it better to say hi and how they are doing in the first text, wait for their response, reply and ask the question, like what were the questions the teacher said yesterday, in the second text?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you just say

"hi, how're you, could you do me a favour and let me know what you did in class yesterday"

Everyone knows that space is tight and it costs to be waffly.
  • Options
    ^ I agree, but it's nice to put "how ru" at the beginning, just sounds a bit more polite than launching straight in with your question.
  • Options
    Tell us the question :razz:
  • Options
    I can't be doing with faffing around, so my texts are usually something like "Hey, hope you're ok. [Insert Question] Speak soon!"
  • Options
    When a friend of mine (who I used to see every day at school) asked me something like that, she just said 'Hi, can you please tell me what pages this work is on please? Thanks.'
  • Options
    Heres a novel idea, why not ring them?
  • Options
    Why worry yourself about how to ask something like that? Just text them, ask how they are, and ask the question you need answering.

It really isn't that hard.
  • Options
    When asking someone for something through text, is it better to say hi and how they are doing in the first text, wait for their response, reply and ask the question, like what were the questions the teacher said yesterday, in the second text?

Thanks.

I know people, who do not respond to "hi, how ya doin?"-texts, so it's better to get to the point immediatelly... it's the same as if anyone says "What's up?!" to you. either you had a fucking awesome day, or you will just respond with "not a whole lot." or smth. so put it all in the 1st txt.

If it's asking someone out, I wouldn't do it over text. you don't know what's going on in the other person, and if the person refuses to text back, or just haven't read the text.

On an additional note: Just call. The 20 seconds you need for the information are probably cheaper than the text, you get your answer right now, and you know exactly if the person is even there/available.
  • Options
    I agree with StrubbleS, much easier to just call them.

With a text, they might not reply straight away, and you'll have to go through the whole "hey, did you get my text"? thing, which'll cost a lot more than a phonecall.
  • Options
    The most irritating thing in the world. Ever.

Seconded. It sucks when people take days to reply. :(
  • Options
    Yeah but it's also annoying when you forget/can't be bothered to reply to a text, and you're forced into replying by a constant stream of "did you get my last message?" texts. Grr..
  • Options
    alasia wrote:
    Yeah but it's also annoying when you forget/can't be bothered to reply to a text, and you're forced into replying by a constant stream of "did you get my last message?" texts. Grr..

There's always the other extreme :( I hate it when people are so clingy. Get off my leg thanks!
  • Options
    Think i'd just say...

Hey, need to ask a favour, what did Mr T etc*. say in Geog* yesterday? I wasnt there/was asleep*. Thank you and forever your slave.

* delete as applicable
  • Options
    Think i'd just say...

Hey, need to ask a favour, what did Mr T etc*. say in Geog* yesterday? I wasnt there/was asleep*. Thank you and forever your slave.

* delete as applicable

I just read that 5 or 6 times and can't fucking conclude what you are talking about?

All I get is Mr T. and I hope it's about Silvester Stallone too.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Heres a novel idea, why not ring them?

:yes: I always find this is better when you need the answer, cos out of everyone I text about 50% of the time they wont text back straight away (i.e. never or several hours / a day later)

My phone ran out of battery and I'm dreading when I turn it on that it will have a torrent of text messages asking me to the cinema, to the pub and all sorts, all from the same person who I don't know :confused: