Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

external hardware not recognised.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i have a problem i do not know how to get around. Basically i have a new laptop and it comes with an external cd/dvd drive, the problem is i cannot get the laptop to recognise the device as when i plug it in it says 'device not recognised, unplug and plug in again'. I have tried it endless amounts of times with noluck. The device spins when it is plugged in but nothing else, i have tried to manually install it but it does not find the device. Any 1 help me?

Comments

• Options
    ive a number of possible ideas to check out.
    what make laptop.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Have you posted before about this?

Laptop make does not matter, she is trying to install a external device on Windows 2000. the solution is you need the drivers for the device, however i have tried searching for the drivers with no luck.

Unless someone else on this board is able to obtain these drivers for you then your problem will be sorted !!

Becky were you not able to get the software disc from the person you bought it from?
  • Options
    I did post before about this but i have had some improvement since then. Basically i sent the laptop back to them to look at and they installed the drivers and sent it back to me with the software cd. It has the drivers installed now and does spin when connected to the laptop (didn't do anything before) but the laptop does not recognise it. Oh yeh i have now updated to windows xp too so i thought it would recognise the device instantly.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    I did post before about this but i have had some improvement since then. Basically i sent the laptop back to them to look at and they installed the drivers and sent it back to me with the software cd. It has the drivers installed now and does spin when connected to the laptop (didn't do anything before) but the laptop does not recognise it. Oh yeh i have now updated to windows xp too so i thought it would recognise the device instantly.

OK so the drivers are installed now. Who sent you the software CD? In device manager does it state there are no problems with the device?

If its a problem of the device not spinning (although you shouldn't be able to completely tell) then it could be a possibility of a knackered hard drive.

With XP on and fresh drivers there shouldn't be a problem.

Does the drive have its own icon in My Computer? If so then maybe try re-formatting it, it needs to be formatted under a NTFS file system so its worth a shot

Hope this helps
  • Options
    The software cd was sent back to me from the people who i purchased the laptop off. I have checked in the device manager and it does say that there are no problems with the device. The drive does not have its own icon in my computer and to be honest when i plug it in i cannot find any record of it being plugged in on my computer.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    The software cd was sent back to me from the people who i purchased the laptop off. I have checked in the device manager and it does say that there are no problems with the device. The drive does not have its own icon in my computer and to be honest when i plug it in i cannot find any record of it being plugged in on my computer.

Ok im a little confused, from the sounds of it you got the external HD with the lappy, so they are both new to you?
    If you had it upgraded why not get one of the technicians to install the device?

As soon as you connect via USB do you get a ballon in your system tray saying "found new hardware"?
  • Options
    Its ok now thank you, i have just tried it again and this time it has automatically recognised it. Thank you so much for all of your help!
  • Options
    OK no worries :chin: