Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Condom not 100% full proof?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have heard all the time that even when used right condoms are only 98% effective. I find thi strange. So ever if a condom does not break or slip or or anything, she can still become pregnanat? Even when there is no semen released into her vagina? This baffles me! Is it true or is this a myth?

Comments

• Options
    It is true. No method of contraception is 100% effective. If it is a concern, perhaps consider using more than one form of contraception, for example, mnay use both the contraceptive pill as well as condoms to provide extra protection.
  • Options
    :yes: The only 100% effective method of contraception is absentence, as was drilled into us at school.

However, from your previous posts, you and your girlfriend are using the pill and condoms yes? (correct me if I'm wrong). It's VERY unlikely for a girl to get pregnant while using two extremely effective forms of contraception, so I wouldn't let it worry you.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Mike_17 wrote:
    I have heard all the time that even when used right condoms are only 98% effective. I find thi strange. So ever if a condom does not break or slip or or anything, she can still become pregnanat? Even when there is no semen released into her vagina? This baffles me! Is it true or is this a myth?
    I think the 2% is the possibility it breaks.
  • Options
    my girl friend is on the pill and we use a condom every time. I just dont understand how a condom can not work if it catches all the semen.
  • Options
    I think the 2% is the possibility it breaks.

Yeah that's where the percentages come from.
  • Options
    Mike_17 wrote:
    my girl friend is on the pill and we use a condom every time. I just dont understand how a condom can not work if it catches all the semen.

I've read a few of your threads, and I think you need to chill out a little. It's great that you are taking it all seriously and responsibly, but you are a little paranoid! Using both the Pill and condoms are a very good way to keep you both safe from pregnancy and STIs, so keep up the good work :thumb:
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    Using both the Pill and condoms are a very good way to keep you both safe from pregnancy and STIs, so keep up the good work :thumb:

Yeah to be honest - you can't get much safer. I'm not that precautious myself, but I know I should be, so you're setting an excellent example to the world :) So carry on how you are and just enjoy yourselves ;)
  • Options
    About 2% of condoms will fail, and so won't "catch all the semen".
  • Options
    thanks for your support and help guys. I know i am a little paranoid but we both have such big plans for our future and im scared to mess them up. I am about to go to college, and i plan to go to medical school after that. My girlfriend is very likely to get a scholarship for musical theater because she is very talented. And when i think about having a baby all i can see is all of my dreams comming crashing down.

I know that there is almost no chance that she could be pregnant, but i cant stop thinking about the "what if" factor. But you all have made me feel a lot better.

I talked to my girlfriend about this as well and she kind of thought it was funny. She says there is no way she could be pregnant. Im sure she knows, but now that im a little paranoid i keep looknig for symptoms. Like last night, we went out to eat dinner. She ate her dinner and then we went for ice cream. Then we went to blockbuster to rent a movie and she wanted candy, i know it's silly but i was thinking" Oh no she is having cravings". Its not toally abnormal sometimes she does eat like that just not often. Also, the fact that she had a little bit of an abnormal period this time bothered me.

Eighter way i know im just being paranoid, but i really appreciate all of your support. Any time i am in a little bit of trouble i feel 100% confident that i can come to this site and get great advice! Thank you all so much.
  • Options
    She will know if she's pregnant, so don't worry.

If you're so scared of it I'd really suggest (kindly) that you aren't ready to be having sex. sex is a lot of fun, but accidents can and do happen.
  • Options
    You are correct, and i have now just started thinking maybe we should stop. Buts its not such an easy think to stop. Im pretty confident we will atleast for a few monthes, but how do you tell your girlfriend you dont want to have sex anymore? Its not such an easy thing to do because she can be a little insecure at times and i know that it wont make her feel good if i tell her i want to stop.

I will tell her and all, i just feel bad about it.
  • Options
    Well to begin with it might be best to discuss why you want to stop having sex, if you can discuss your anxities with her then whatever action you decide could come from that.
  • Options
    Mike i've been parnoid about falling pregnant ever since i was your age (Gawd i feel old), so i use the double Dutch method- condom and the pill. I did have to swap and change a few times before i found the pill that was right for me, but i've been taking it for around 9 years now.