Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Christmas parties

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was talking to a mate of mine the other day about christmas parties (and getting depressed that I don't get any because i'm a student! :( )

and he was saying how he's not inviting his girlfriend to his because he intends on having a few drinks and "snogging the fit receptionist". He then went on to say it was the norm for people to get friendly with each other at an office party and that no boyfriend or girlfriend could ever get annoyed about it.

I must admit that i'm quite shocked by this! I've never been to an office party as i've always been a student so I don't know what really goes on at them, but are things really like this? Is there an unwritten rule that kissing other people is ok?

Personally I would be really really upset if my girlfriend did this, christmas party or not!

Please tell me that my mate is just an idiot and not everyone thinks like this? Is this sort of attitude common?

Comments

• Options
    your mate IS an idiot. sounds like he's using this as an excuse to cheat on his g.f! not a good idea!
  • Options
    I would say your mate is an idiot...if you're in a loving relationship i see no need to go out snogging other people, "fit" or not! I feel very sorry for your mates girlfriend :yes:
  • Options
    he's using it as an excuse

surely if they can't get annoyed about it then he'd invite her?? :chin:
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:

and he was saying how he's not inviting his girlfriend to his because he intends on having a few drinks and "snogging the fit receptionist". He then went on to say it was the norm for people to get friendly with each other at an office party and that no boyfriend or girlfriend could ever get annoyed about it.

If my boyfriend 'got friendly' with any girl at a christmas party and expected me to be alright about it, I'd beat him to death with a christmas tree :D

Your mate sounds a bit of an idiot tbh, and I feel sorry for his girlfriend!
  • Options
    your mate IS an idiot. sounds like he's using this as an excuse to cheat on his g.f! not a good idea!

:yes:
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I'm feeling a bit relieved now. I'm glad not everyone thinks like this.
    To be honest, I think he and his girlfriend have a lot of issues which could be a reason why he has this view. Still, good to know he's the minority!
  • Options
    I suppose they're quite good if you're wanting to pull someone you've had your eye on at work, it's not some sort of unwritten rule that you have to. And I can't say I've ever heard of the work party being a situation where it doesn't count. It's not like different area codes :p. If they do, then they probably would've cheated on you work party or not.
  • Options
    I'd backhand my bloke if he pulled that stunt!
  • Options
    Office christmas parties suck anyway - take it from someone who knows! Nobody in most offices like each other that much anyway so why they have a party to pretend that they do, I've never worked out...!
  • Options
    Errrr actually have you ever tried to kiss someone when youre with someone you really like? Its really hard, proper guilt!!! And mine was only a bet! Anyway id like to think my bf wouldnt, but i would consider a kiss slightly worth forgiving cos mistakes happen and i believe that if you kiss someone else then you know if you really want the other. But no- not acceptable in my books.
  • Options
    I've worked at a few different places and at every one, people got off with each other, but it's certainly not an unwritten rule that you *have to* kiss random people at these parties!

I would do it unless I was single.
  • Options
    Xmas parties are just hell. You have to be nice to people you'd rather punch in the face. And quite a lot of illict snogging does go on at some of them.

Me+booze+xmas party= utter utter humilation.
  • Options
    Christmas parties are a good excuse to get pissed and shag someone you work with. How good looking (or otherwise) your colleagues are doesn't come into it.

They're a good excuse if you're single, that is. I actually don't mind going out with people from work for a few drinks, probably because I'm not very likely to end up in bed with any of them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Christmas parties are a good excuse to get pissed and shag someone you work with. How good looking (or otherwise) your colleagues are doesn't come into it.

i'd love to hear you say that quickly, authoratively and seriously. i hope thats how it came out
  • Options
    yeah i agree i think they would be a good way to finally pull the person uve had a crush on for ages, or just to get drunk and have sex. But certainly not an excuse to cheaton your girlfriend.