Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

7 Year itch!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone could help me out with a tricky situation.

Been with my OH for 7 years. He was the first person I slept with and we have a house together.

Recently, I have felt like ending the relationship at times. He drives me bonkers being very selfish and putting everyone before me. We argue but make up quite quickly. I get so stressed with the lack of affection he shows to me.

A few days ago I was out in the local with a few girlie friends. We had a right scream and I ended up chatting to a really good male friend of ours. He is 15 years older than me and married (but verging on Divorce). We left and went our separate ways home but I text him and we ended up meeting. He told me that he had liked me for ages and we ended up kissing (I like him too). He emailed me the morning after and told me that he really enjoyed it and asked if I wanted it again. Told him I did but thought it would hurt so many people.

The night after I spoke to him and told him I missed seeing him. We just chatted for a while and promised to not be funny around each other. Although initially I didn't want it to go any further, for the sake of others, now I can't stop thinking about him. I keep praying that he will email me but he hasn't been in touch (his wife is back from hol now). I am not sure if he has gone off the idea of any contact. I am even planning on going out again in a hope I bump into him and we have a repeat of last week.

What on earth do I do? I am not the type to have an affair for a fear of hurting my OH but I can't help thinking that with things the way they are, it might not be a bad thing to have some fun. My friends (who don't know what is going on) keep telling me that you are only young once! AARRGGHHH :crying:

Thanks for any advice!!!

Comments

• Options
    this is quite common i think

its the same in most relationships, the spark has gone, you dont feel loved blah blah BUT the grass isnt always greener on the other side!

i went thru this stage (after 3yrs tho,not 7 lol) and spoke to my mum, at the time, i was having thoughts about getting back with my ex because i was sooo bored of my fiance, but its like my mum said, after 3 years with my ex i`d probably feel bored too, its a fact of life, its never gonna be as good as it was! This guy is temping u because its new and exciting and he`s showing u attention....

saying that, if he is disrespecting you and you are THAT unhappy, leave the relationship an affair is NOT the solution, an affair isnt fair on anybody

maybe do a list of pros and cons for the relationship?
  • Options
    AWE thanks that is great! I have sat down with my OH time and time again and things change for about a week, then just go back to normal. Also, I get so stressed cos I am ready to settle down and have kiddies and he just can't be @rsed with it all. We talk about marriage, well I say we but I talk and he ignores!!!!

Will have a deep think about my situation but your words are good!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

I've Been with my OH for 7 years. He was the first person I slept with and we have a house together.

Recently, I have felt like ending the relationship at times. He drives me bonkers being very selfish and putting everyone before me. We argue but make up quite quickly. I get so stressed with the lack of affection he shows to me.

Hi there,
    It sounds like you are going through a very stressful time with doubts about whether or not you should continue your relationship. It's true that seeking affection from another person is bound to fill a gap in the short-term, but in the long term it could leave you feeling guilty and unhappy. Also, the chances are you will still be left with the same issues you discuss above, but less able to confront them because your emotions will be divided.

There's a Q&A in our askTheSite archive called seven year itch, which might help you consider your feelings and a way forward.

I hope it helps. Take care ;)
  • Options
    thanks guys! Really appreciate someone telling me what they think. Sometimes reinforces things!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    thanks guys! Really appreciate someone telling me what they think. Sometimes reinforces things!

Thanks again!
    let us know how u get on :)
  • Options
    You just need to work out what's wrong in your relationship, and see if those problems can be solved.

If you're feeling neglected you will obviously have a roving eye, try and sort out the feelings of neglect and see if things improve.

Don't be afraid to go and end it if things really are that bad, but don't cheat and don't rush into it.
  • Options
    I think the issue of whether you want to stay in your relationship should be kept seperate from whether this 'married' man is the best one to get involved with.

Work on the first, not the second; if things have changed now his wife is back he's not on the verge of a divorce, just a bit on the side. Sorry.
  • Options
    Ah my ex was in your situation and decided to have a relationship on the side. Fucked our relationship up and she now tells me she regrets it because she only really loved me, things didn't work out with the new guy, and everyone found out about it and doesn't like her now. Put me through a shit rollercoaster, cos she was a bit stupid. A lot of girls seem to be easy that if a guy says things they automatically take it in and feel special, when really it's bullshit and he's trying to get his leg over.

Not having a go, just saying, whatever you do, having an affair is just going to fuck everything up for you, for him, and for this other guy. Simple truth. You say your boyfriend isn't affectionate enough, but if that's the problem then surely by going to someone else it's never going to solve it.

Ask yourself, do you want to be in a relationship with your other half still? If not, call it a day. Good luck with whatever happens
  • Options
    what does verging on divorce mean? it sounds like his wife thinks tey're 'giving it another go' while he's out 'finding himself'?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    what does verging on divorce mean? it sounds like his wife thinks tey're 'giving it another go' while he's out 'finding himself'?

It means that he wants to have sex with other people behind his wife's back, IME, but wants them to think that there is a chance of something more.

What you are going through isn't anytyhing new, or exclusive to your relationship. You need to be honest with your partner and tell him how you feel and you need to feel secure in his answers. If you don't, then you need to think about your own future. As Matt says, do you really want another seven years of this. If not then cut your losses now because it will only get harder to do so.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I think the issue of whether you want to stay in your relationship should be kept seperate from whether this 'married' man is the best one to get involved with

I totally agree.
    You need to consider first whether you want to be with your current partner - if you break up with him, do it because you dont want to be with him, not because you have these exciting new feelings for someone else. 7 years is a lot to throw away for a crush.
    Does your partner know how you are feeling about the relationship and that you are coming close to ending it? perhaps he is feeling the same about the change in the relationship and you could talk about working to improve things
  • Options
    Been with my OH for 7 years. He was the first person I slept with and we have a house together.

the first?...
  • Options
    I think that your bf aint the one with the problem..you are.

you cheated after all
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - your stern words are what I needed. Just got to put them into action now and try to make things better.

Going to try and avoid the other bloke where possible. He has decided that he is going to make a go of his relationship with his wife and stop messing around (he has done this before with a friend of mine I found out). I just hope that I can put this bad phase behind me and move on!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - your stern words are what I needed. Just got to put them into action now and try to make things better.

Going to try and avoid the other bloke where possible. He has decided that he is going to make a go of his relationship with his wife and stop messing around (he has done this before with a friend of mine I found out). I just hope that I can put this bad phase behind me and move on!

Thanks again!

great you got sound advice that helped you.

It always makes me angry when the advice-giving and the adviced people behave like this.

- "help i'm fell down this pit!"
    15 people say, "climb up again, you will be able to escape."
    - "no, really I rather dig, I've been in pits before. I think digging helps!"
    + "Nooo!! you will only get deeper, look we put down a rope, hold on tight we pull you up!"
    - "no, seriously guys, this pit is different, I am a pit expert, I am just asking for advice and don't listen to it, because it makes you angry."
    + "dude, you will get lost... we help you to come out of this pit!!"
    - "Oh gosh... digging does not bring me anywhere... help!! im an trapped in the pit, It's dark and cold, help me... but I think I rather keep digging, one day I will escape there..."
    + *15 people pissing down the pit*
  • Options
    :razz: Thats hilarious!!!

Did take me taking that little step further down the pit and lots of advice from my best friend (who I found out is going through exactly the same at the moment)!

Might even suggests she visits here for a little advice - she certainly needs it. Sometimes people have to be cruel to be kind!!!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:

- "help i'm fell down this pit!"
    15 people say, "climb up again, you will be able to escape."
    - "no, really I rather dig, I've been in pits before. I think digging helps!"
    + "Nooo!! you will only get deeper, look we put down a rope, hold on tight we pull you up!"
    - "no, seriously guys, this pit is different, I am a pit expert, I am just asking for advice and don't listen to it, because it makes you angry."
    + "dude, you will get lost... we help you to come out of this pit!!"
    - "Oh gosh... digging does not bring me anywhere... help!! im an trapped in the pit, It's dark and cold, help me... but I think I rather keep digging, one day I will escape there..."
    + *15 people pissing down the pit*

:lol:! Yes people like that drive me mental also.
  • Options
    sometimes people have to figure things out for themselves, even with a bit of prompting :)
  • Options
    The only thing that i can say, is that if you are considering having an affair, rather break it off with the current bloke. i was in the same type of relationship, had been together for 6 years, i went on holiday and my ex cheated on me. It is one of the worst things that any human being can go through!!!

Think before you act. and if you still want to have the affair then have the decency to break up with the BF first!!