Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Delivery Men

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For some reason all the bloody delivery men in our area have coined on to the fact that if the person they're delivering to aint in they can leave whatever it is they've got with us in our porch.

Don't mind too much when it's for one of the next door neighbours but just got asked to take something for a new neighbour across the road whom we've never met.

We've started to ignore them when they ring the doorbell, but this one was sneaky and parked futher down the road .. :eek2:

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Comments

• Options
    no, but have you tried contacting the company they work for and telling them! they get paid to deliver parcels, so maybe the company should start paying you as it seems you're doing their work aswell!
  • Options
    I dont have a problem taking in parcels for neighbours. What's the big deal about it?
  • Options
    For some reason all the bloody delivery men in our area have coined on to the fact that if the person they're delivering to aint in they can leave whatever it is they've got with us in our porch.

Isnt in! It most certainly is not "aint in". Any sympathy I may or may not have had for your situation was lost there.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    budda wrote:
    Isnt in! It most certainly is not "aint in". Any sympathy I may or may not have had for your situation was lost there.

Actually, it is isn't :p
  • Options
    :heart:

How true.
  • Options
    nooooooooooooo not a pedant competition!
  • Options

Sod off.
  • Options
    :D

Littlemissy has already won though, so it's ok :yes:
  • Options
    considering the word has long been in common use, it is surely only snobbery that prevents its inclusion in 'correct' english when other illogical contractions and conventions are accepted?
  • Options
    :D

Littlemissy has already won though, so it's ok :yes:

owned !:razz:
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    considering the word has long been in common use, it is surely only snobbery that prevents its inclusion in 'correct' english when other illogical contractions and conventions are accepted?

Yes, and what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    budda wrote:
    Sod off.
    No :p
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

Yes if you are a Descriptivist.
    No if you are Prescriptivist.

There's also a difference between spoken English, which includes every dialect, and standard written English, which should always be the Standard English form, at least when writing formally. [/linguistics student]
  • Options
    Most delivery people are cunts. We got one once who, when i was in, posted one of the little card things without even bothering to knock.
    As soon as i saw what he'd posted i chased after him and gave him an earful for not doing his job properly :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    icey wrote:
    Most delivery people are cunts. We got one once who, when i was in, posted one of the little card things without even bothering to knock.
    As soon as i saw what he'd posted i chased after him and gave him an earful for not doing his job properly :D

We get that alot. It's like, they come round early so you are in bed, and they must KNOW this, the just drop a card thorugh, or the bell would wake either me or my mum up - I know it does, when mates knock and I am asleep!

Delivery people are twunts. Either that, or they lob the parcels OVER OUR GATE. Fools, it might break! Hasn't broke anything yet, thank god.
  • Options
    icey wrote:

When I lived in Birmingham, Royal Mail didn't even bother bringing the parcels with them, they just used to put through a card as standard. Used to piss me off no end, as I'd have to make a bus journey to the depot, or pay 50p to have it delivered to my nearest post office. I was often in when they dropped the card in too, so it always meant I had to wait longer and pay money to get my parcels :grump:
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    When I lived in Birmingham, Royal Mail didn't even bother bringing the parcels with them, they just used to put through a card as standard. Used to piss me off no end, as I'd have to make a bus journey to the depot, or pay 50p to have it delivered to my nearest post office. I was often in when they dropped the card in too, so it always meant I had to wait longer and pay money to get my parcels :grump:

At our local postoffice depot they have clampers waiting for people to walk in with those cards and as they go to the office to collect the parcel they clamp you.

It's a gold mine for them, as everyday there's new people coming there to collect their packages.
  • Options
    Well, to be fair, they only clamp you if you park somewhere where you shouldn't.

Quite reasonable, I'd say.
  • Options
    Until it happens to you :p
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Well, to be fair, they only clamp you if you park somewhere where you shouldn't.

Quite reasonable, I'd say.

Same as speeding tickets really, everyone knows what the limits are yet complain when they get caught.