Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my laptop is buggered

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
pls help me! i need to format the hard drive, but i cant bcos it takes about 40mins from when i type in my password until when everything loadsa up+alot of the time it doesnt finish loading. i need to save alot of work on it b4 i format it, so does anyone have any genius advice pls?
thanx

Comments

• Options
    System Mechanic?
  • Options
    Try booting up in Safe mode, and accessing your Docs and stuff through My Computer > C ect ect?

If that fails you could try a CD Boot up and just copy your files onto a Removeable device...
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Tryed booting up in Safe mode, and accessing your Docs and stuff through My Computer > C ect ect?

If that fails you could try a CD Boot up and just copy your files onto a Removeable device...

Yep, that pretty much sums it up... There isn't much else you can try...
  • Options
    cool me: How do i boot it up in safe mode?
    how do i acces my docs thru that pathway?
    wots a cd bootup??
    sorry
  • Options
    cool me: How do i boot it up in safe mode?
    how do i acces my docs thru that pathway?
    wots a cd bootup??
    sorry

Thought you would know :p

Safe Mode: Start your computer and start hitting the hell out of the F8 Key normaly next to F7 and F9 (that was a joke)

And choose safe mode it dont matter which one you choose but not Command thing

From there you will see aload of stuff on your screen YOU HAVE A VIRUS! (another joke)

From there windows will load you will notice things look weird when you choose the username choose Admin And from there your be logged into the Admin Version of windows and have full control over the computer and files

Plug in your device or what ever your backing up too and then go into My Computer > C: > Documents and settings > and find your username and find your files and copy!

CD Boot you would need a "Live" Version of an OS Which i doubt you have so no need to worry
  • Options
    thank you! i actually have just done all that,kinda just guessed! gonna back everything up now!
    NOW: can anyone recommend the worlds best anit virus scan that will work against viruses,trojans, pop ups,etc?
  • Options
    The most "comprehensive" virus scan would be norton/mcaffee. but they may well slow your computer down to an absoloute crawl.

I recommend AVG Free, Adaware, Firefox, and common sense! :)
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    The most "comprehensive" virus scan would be norton/mcaffee. but they may well slow your computer down to an absoloute crawl.

I recommend AVG Free, Adaware, Firefox, and common sense! :)

You have most likely had a bad experience with McAfee!

I recommend McAfee Or Windows One Care Live
  • Options
    ok,ive got adaware and AVG!will get firefox too!
    thanx guys,just saying everything+then gonna format it! woop
    OH, because i started it in safe mode that 1 time, will it always start up like that?
  • Options
    No it wont unless you Press F8 again
  • Options
    If you want it to start up faster, you could always click Start, then run, then type 'msconfig' in the box, click Diagnostic mode, and apply. then reset your computer.

It'll start your computer with the bare minimum of stuff installed, Alternatively you can click on "Selective startup" and go through the Services and Startup group unchecking stuff you don't want to load at startup.

Both options would dramatically speed up the starting speed of your laptop, but if you're going to format then you probably won't want to do this.
    CoolMe wrote:
    You have most likely had a bad experience with McAfee!

I recommend McAfee Or Windows One Care Live

Not paticularly, I prefer Mcaffe over norton, but I've still had a load of shitty little problems with mcaffee on tonnes of my clients machines.

Oh and don't talk to me about Onecare, It tried to defrag a network drive and broke it, You seemingly can't exclude network drives from defrag, nor can you chose where you want to backup to, it's either "usb pen" or "usb pen".

Personally I prefer AVG/nod32/kaspersky over the "big" antivirus, as they do just what they say on the tin, and don't try to control every aspect of security on your computer. But that's just me
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Not paticularly, I prefer Mcaffe over norton, but I've still had a load of shitty little problems with mcaffee on tonnes of my clients machines.

Oh and don't talk to me about Onecare, It tried to defrag a network drive and broke it, You seemingly can't exclude network drives from defrag, nor can you chose where you want to backup to, it's either "usb pen" or "usb pen".

I cant be doing with all the Defragging onecare is fine for vista and what im doing at the moment and McAfee is fine for me too! i cant believe you pick it over Norton! come on NORTON! its the worst thing in my eyes
  • Options
    I was agreeing with you, I said mcafee was better than norton.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    I was agreeing with you, I said mcafee was better than norton.

My Bad
  • Options
    I hate norton, although it was a few years back when my dad instaleld it and it just practically took over his pc slowed it down to the max and wouldnt let him connect to the network!!
  • Options
    I got my first really bad virus torjan from it... I was downloading aswelll...