Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

external HD Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got this Ext HD, plugged in and connected as per the instruction's. The pc makes its usual sound to denote something has been connected, it tells me its found a mass storage device, but thats all i can get out of it.

I cannot find it listed in my computer, its not in the computer management area either. It doesnt require drivers, obviously, so how do i go about making it visible ?

It's a multimedia HD designed to be connected to a television but obviously you need content on the HD in order to play files on the tv in the first place.

Advice asap would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Usually it should just be plug and play...

Try right clicking my computer and click manage.. then click disk management...

See if you can see it in there, it might be unformatted / partitioned.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Usually it should just be plug and play...

Try right clicking my computer and click manage.. then click disk management...

See if you can see it in there, it might be unformatted / partitioned.

Tried that last night before posting. It mentions doing so in the manual but it doesnt appear in disc management. It does need formatted, into FAT32, but i cant see how that can be done if you cant see the drive via the PC
  • Options
    have you tried looking in the device manager?

Have a look in there to see if it is there, and possible might show you if it missing any drivers.
  • Options
    It didnt come with any drivers nor does the manual make ANY reference to drivers being required . . .
  • Options
    its not plugged into a USB hub is it? could be a power problem and explain why it makes the "connected" sound but nothing else.

Always worth a check to look at the device manager and see if the HDD is there.
  • Options
    It WAS plugged into a hub but after taking it out of their and plugging it directly into a USB2.0 slot it still failed to work.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    edn1 wrote:
    It WAS plugged into a hub but after taking it out of their and plugging it directly into a USB2.0 slot it still failed to work.
    Was that a front or back socket? Front ones sometimes don't work as well as ones on the back of the computer, because they're connected with cables while the other ones are on the motherboard directly.