Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Airplane Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tell us your favourite air plane dishes and best and worse experiences

I remember taking a flight with XL and their breakfast was sausages, their lunch was sausages, their dinner was sausages

Air plane food used to be much nicer I'm sure... but that was back in the days when they gave you a real set of metal knives and forks to eat it with.

Comments

• Options
    scrambled eggs are always weird when they give you the cooked breakfasts, even the beans taste weird. i had a delicious asparagus risotto once.

what really pisses me off is that the non veggies get chocolate cake for pudding and the vegetarians get fruit! wtf!
  • Options
    I flew Iberia recently and the food was dire, and the leg room, the staff, the check in, the plane and the other passangers were also dire.

Anyway - United or AA tend to have pretty decent food, Virgin used to when I flew with them and BA isnt terrible either.
  • Options
    I flew to and from Bulgaria in the morning last year and the breakfast we had on the flight was chewy, rubbery rubbish with the tiniest mushroom I've ever seen which didn't even look edible. I did have a massive breakfast in Newcastle Airport before I left though.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've always found plane food to be quite good actually.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i love most aeroplane food! i dont know why, maybe it brings back happy childhood memories.
    BA do lovely meals but the worst food i ever got was on an American Airlines flight when i was 11 and it was all american crap. I asked the airhostess what we would be getting and she said 'lots of sugary things to make all you children hyper' errrr?
  • Options
    Cant remember what I've had but it's all been very nice.
    However as a could, I went on holiday and ended up with severe food poisoning - the docs couldnt tell me where I might have got it, they said it could have been abroad of the the flight food. Damn that holiday as I've had nothing but trouble with my tummy for years now, sicce then.
  • Options
    usually i fly cattle class so no aeroplane food there, but on the times its just been a normal plane, theyve just given me a crappy snadwich that tastes about 2 days old. Probably because its refrigerated and therefore hard.
  • Options
    BA alwasy do fish on a friday.

I love aeroplane food its great - though i'm not so keen on the new BA sky deli or what ever its called as sometiems they only give you crappy sweet things.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote:
    what really pisses me off is that the non veggies get chocolate cake for pudding and the vegetarians get fruit! wtf!
    Um, that makes sense...
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i love most aeroplane food! i dont know why, maybe it brings back happy childhood memories.
    BA do lovely meals but the worst food i ever got was on an American Airlines flight when i was 11 and it was all american crap. I asked the airhostess what we would be getting and she said 'lots of sugary things to make all you children hyper' errrr?

My worst ever meal was on AA as well - it was breakfast and we had cinnamon toast cruch, cinnamon roll, cinnamon ceral bar.
  • Options
    Best thing I've had on an airplane was a ham and cheese crossiant on our way to Switzerland. They were gorgeous, and since the flight was half empty, me and my cousin asked the stewardess if we could buy another one.... she gave us two each for free!

I wish I could remember what airline it was :crying:
  • Options
    I never eat airplane food... Most of it looks horrible.
  • Options
    Um, that makes sense...

how does that make sense! vegetarians eat chocolate cake too! and its not like they can use the vegan arguement cos the other bits werent vegan
  • Options
    Had tiryaki salmon and black pepper noodles when I flew with cathay Pacific, it was divine.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    how does that make sense! vegetarians eat chocolate cake too! and its not like they can use the vegan arguement cos the other bits werent vegan
    Well, I wouldn't know about the other bits from what you said. I just thought that they thought vegs wouldn't want milk.
  • Options
    Last time i was on a plane was 25 years ago, and it was a roll, butter pat, slice of cheese and a piece of dubious looking cheesecake on our way to Milan.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Thai quorn curry :yum::yum::yum::yum: I'd eat it four times over it is just that yummy! :

Bet someone had to inform the airline in advance they were coming to get that meal .. :thumb:
  • Options
    I was on a BA flight the other week where they just gave us a cereal bar for a 2 1/2 hour flight! I thought it was a bit crap but wasn't too bothered as i'd eaten at the airport, but the guy next to me was going schitz over it and spent the whole flight complaining that he doesn't pay X amount of money to eat rabbit food and how even easyjet gave him more than that! Was quite entertaining seeing how worked up he got about it!

My worst expereince was on a flight a couple of years ago, won't say which airline, but i'd requested a vegetarian meal in advance and they made an announcement before bringing the meals out that there was 2 options - vegetable lasagna or a beef curry or something, so when the air stewardess got to me i asked for the vegetable lasagna and she told me 'sorry, they've all gone', so i was like 'well, do u have anything without meat in that i can eat' to which she replied 'sorry no, you should have sat further forwards!!' wtf!

The best was Singapore airlines - we got a personal menu handed to us when we got on the plane with several options and it was delicious!
  • Options
    First Choice did some lovely food when I flew to and from Cuba this year. Chocolate orange cake was delicious.
  • Options
    Whenever i've flown to america the good food has always gone by the time they get to us. I remember having some weird bangers and mash once. Not too keen on plane food tbh - too fatty. Breakfasts are okish though. I don't like eating when i'm traveling anyway. I could probably fly the whole 9 hours and not feel hungry, then as soon as i get off i'm starving.
    However i've only ever flown with virgin when we've been given meals so maybe i'm bias
  • Options
    Cant remember what it was but I know the meal we got on an Air Transat flight to/from Toronto was nice, but Canadians are very nice people anyway so they look after you well!!
  • Options

The best was Singapore airlines - we got a personal menu handed to us when we got on the plane with several options and it was delicious!

Gulf Air do that as well. Bloody lovely food from them as well incidentally, but it was 8 years ago now.
  • Options
    but that was back in the days when they gave you a real set of metal knives and forks to eat it with.

SwissAir still give you real knives and forks. Their food is also very good, even if you're only on a really short flight (ie. Geneva to Zurich, 30 minutes) they give you a small bar of chocolate :)
  • Options
    My worst expereince was on a flight a couple of years ago, won't say which airline, but i'd requested a vegetarian meal in advance and they made an announcement before bringing the meals out that there was 2 options - vegetable lasagna or a beef curry or something, so when the air stewardess got to me i asked for the vegetable lasagna and she told me 'sorry, they've all gone', so i was like 'well, do u have anything without meat in that i can eat' to which she replied 'sorry no, you should have sat further forwards!!' wtf!
    :lol: Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but it's so pathetic it's funny.
  • Options
    I had a toasted up grainy roll with cheese and kantwurst (yes, yoo pronounce it cunt woorst). It wasn't bad, but not really filling and dry/boring, but you shouldn't have much expectations.

I had a chicken salad once and the chicken was the dryest piece of meat I ever devoured.
  • Options
    The only time I've flown was when I was 13, and I was with my friend and her family. I ordered a vegetarian meal because I'm vegetarian. By the time they got to me they'd run out, and I was really upset because I was only 13 and I was a PROPER vegetarian and not just eating it because I didn't like the meaty one :( That was a sad day.
  • Options
    I flew with Virgin and their food was actually pretty good. Can't remember what it was though!
  • Options
    Food on cathay pacific is generally good whenever i've been back to HK to see relatives.

Although i tend to like most airplane food anywyas.