Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Google - Too dominant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Google have just bought YouTube - one of the nets most popular site.

They also release all sorts of products at an alarming rate (many of them excellent - google maps for ex)

Is this good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    There are alternatives so I don't see it as a bad thing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    as far as innovation is concerned it can only be a good thing
  • Options
    Our use of youtube probaly sealed da deal. bol.
  • Options
    Google have more money than they know what to do with, so of course they are spending it on things which might make money. Hell, even if YouTube never makes them a penny they wont notice.
  • Options
    There was a thing ages ago which predicted how Google will pretty much take over the internet, can't remember where I saw it but it was pretty interesting if slightly exagerated.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    budda wrote:
    Google have more money than they know what to do with, so of course they are spending it on things which might make money. Hell, even if YouTube never makes them a penny they wont notice.

Precisle.

Most of Google's mone is made through advertising, and really, with YouTube's high usage, it is pretty much certain it'll make cash off the advertising.

Although the News said this morning about copyright issues being a problem - hopefully, Google won't take down the Southpark episodes on Youtube. :(
  • Options
    budda wrote:

If they need any ideas, they could send me some money, i could put it to good use :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Well I heard something about the possibility of being paid for uploading original comedy material?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Although the News said this morning about copyright issues being a problem - hopefully, Google won't take down the Southpark episodes on Youtube. :(
    If they do, all you have to do is visit this website where you will be able to watch every episode from every series :)
  • Options
    Adverts

I heard a way they might try to make money: show little advertisement videos before you watch the clip that you wanted to.

I am not up for that, I hope they don't do it.

It's a shame when big companies take over everything (eg Tesco...) but it does make it cheaper. I'm so torn! I love being able to buy things for pennies in some shops, then for so many reasons it's bad.

hum
  • Options
    The thing is, it's free now. It doesn't get much cheaper than that- unless Google are prepared to pay us for logging onto youtube (which would be nice :) )
  • Options
    Coccinelle wrote:
    I heard a way they might try to make money: show little advertisement videos before you watch the clip that you wanted to.

I personally don't see why when they have video.google.com where there are no ad videos before in sight.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Precisle.

ghetto

I don't think it's a bad thing, as long as they're not using underhand takeovers etc... I don't think they could ever become a true monopoly situation cos they don't charge for general use of their "products".
    Hell, even if YouTube never makes them a penny they wont notice.

I think they just might considering how much they paid for it..
  • Options
    I think it's awesome, I wish I worked for google. Oh the power!! lol
  • Options
    It's all good imo... Also Google could be a bit more organised, otherwise I like the spirit behind it...
  • Options
    Good for Google, they get to make super profits now.

So what if they get market dominance? This is Capitalism, thats how it works. Jeez.

If they offer the best service, they win, others lose for not being good enough. Google does it best, has huge money amounts, so can now have Google Video and Youtube. With thier money and resources, who knows, Youtube MIGHT get good servers soon! We can but hope!
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I think they just might considering how much they paid for it..

They paid nothing for it really considering how much money Google has burning a hole in its pocket. They could write the whole project off and not notice.
  • Options
    I think they're getting to be very dominant and they broke their own rules on advertising with ebay (i.e. the no pop up rule)

I'm having to move websites hosted in the USA to the UK where it's much more expensive because when people go to Google.co.uk and say find me a UK only website it only goes as far to check the server is in the UK when in reality it shouldn't matter where the site is hosted if the site is about the UK then it should be included

It is good to see all the things they've introduced and really companies like Microsoft should take up the challenge and reduce their prices, improve their products, etc but all they seem to be doing is copying (very badly) what Google is doing.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So what if they get market dominance? This is Capitalism, thats how it works. Jeez.

becuase total market dominance leads to lack of competition which leads to poor customer service. If there is nowhere else to go...
  • Options
    becuase total market dominance leads to lack of competition which leads to poor customer service. If there is nowhere else to go...

Thats STILL how it works though. :p Because they used to offer the best services until they destroyed competion, we must accept them as our dominant, benign overlords.

Like Kim Jon Il. :p
  • Options
    Why not take the Google tour? This video is only 5 hr 39 min 41 sec

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3383042311441257769&q=type%3Agoogle+factory&time=75000
  • Options
    The day Google bought Youtube.com, Google earned a tiny profit of $400,000,000 just by acquiring youtube.com (by way of share prices rising). It's all about the reach. Seriously, when Murdoch acquired myspace and with his plans to compete with google, it was only natural for Google to make this move.
    Rock on!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

I read somewhere that the makers of southpark don't mind them being up there and as a result wont be taking any action anyways :thumb:
  • Options
    I reckon it won't be long before Google becomes the bad guy of the computer industry, we're enjoying things like Google Maps, etc right now, but they're growing so fast and collecting so much data on us .. it's kinda scarey.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    I read somewhere that the makers of southpark don't mind them being up there and as a result wont be taking any action anyways :thumb:

Brill!

Well, thats my worries over.