Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brown forced to support war?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,,1892458,00.html

Blunkett has suggested that Brown only supported the war in Iraq because he thought he was going to get sacked otherwise.

I think this is rather important if Brown is to be our next leader, it seems to say two things about him:

a) his natural stance was to oppose the war

b) he will put personal gain over principal

What do people think, if it were true then would Brown look better or worse in your eyes?

or is Blunkett just talking bollocks as usual?

Comments

• Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    b) he will put personal gain over principal

You are surprised by this?
  • Options
    Not necessarily but if he really objected to the war, considering that unlike the others that resigned, Brown potentially could have halted the whole thing (whilst throwing the Labour party and the govt into total turmoil), it would have been quite momentous to put such objections to one side.......

Depends whether his objections were moral or more preactical though.
  • Options
    He gets my thumbs up for being against the war (though I'd like to know if that was on moral grounds or simply because it would cost money... :rolleyes: ). But he gets a bigger thumbs down for not resigning or making a stand and wait for Blair to sack him.
  • Options
    He loses either way. If it's wrong, he supported the war and plenty of people still don't like that. If it's right, he's a gutless spineless coward for saying nothing.
  • Options
    Brown would sell his own grandmother to become Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Well the man's been waiting long enough. Can you blame him? :D;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well the man's been waiting long enough. Can you blame him? :D;)

I find Brown's position quite bizarre and an unwelcome addition to our democracy. It would be easy to mistake Brown as being part of a 'dual premiership' - indeed, many would say he is. The arrogant view of Brown and his supporters that Brown has some kind of 'right' to inherit the role of PM with an assumption of automatic succession is democratically offensive and it's a failure of Blair that his Chancellor is not clearly defined as answerable and inferior to PM's office. Blair should have demoted or sacked Brown years ago...That said, Brown will be a lot easier for the Conservatives to beat than a Blairite challenger so Blair's failure to assert his authority doesn't bother me greatly.