Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Do You Learn To Ride a Motor Bike?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was just wondering if you know zero about bikes, how do you learn to operate one?

I mean you don't have a guy sitting next to you or someone holding it by the seat so you don't fall sideways like with a bicycle

How do you learn?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Do a CBT.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Do a CBT.

That's not what I meant.

Like how do they stop you falling off or running into a wall when you're learning?

Like ina car when my sister was learning and heading straight for a wall my dad pulled up the hand brakes, or in proper learning cars you have dual foot controls and in some countries when two steering wheels.
  • Options
    I started with the bike about a foot away from a solid brick wall trying to find the bite point. Then when I had that, they made me go round this track (essentially a school playground lol) a couple of times - its pretty hard to fall off because there is more mass and force = greater momentum. Also you've got your gyroscopic stabilising effects, so if you jumped off a motorbike at great speed it would just keep going... Unlike a bicycle.

But yea, on the CBT, its talking first, then on the bike vs. the wall, then round the track, then on the road - all on the same day lol!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Like how do they stop you falling off or running into a wall when you're learning?

Well if can ride a push bike you'll be alright balancing a motor bike.
    Other than that you just have to learn the controls and take it steady. It isn't that hard
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    How do you learn?

1. Go pay for lessons(CBT).
    2. Watch the sexeh Suzi Perry babble on for a bit about stuff.
    3. Go out, sit on the bike, be taught what the controls are.
    4. Learn how to engage gears and operate clutch at the same time.
    5. Try to ride. I needed no more basic tuition here(and didn't really need what came before). However... for other people....
    6. Fall off.
    7. Get back on.
    8. Try to ride.
    9. Fall off.
    10. Get back on.

Get the idea? :)
  • Options
    get my mum to teach you and fall off your bike and break your leg in the process. :thumb:
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    in australia some outback dude taught me to ride his nifty dirtbike like this.. he told me what everything did first off, then he sat on the bike and showed me how to work the throttle, and then made damn sure that i knew where the brake was lol.

And so off i went, down this dusty lane, around the corner... took it a bit wide and thunked into a fallen tree trunk. Down I went: Great stuff.