Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

linux how to's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
most importantly, i can't find GRUB on the fedora GUI. how can i now tweak settings so a boot back into windows xp is possible.

can i lower the security so that i don't have to enter root password everytime i do something that requires admin privaledges.

how do i get all those system clocks and usage monitors up on the desktop.

Comments

• Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    can i lower the security so that i don't have to enter root password everytime i do something that requires admin privaledges.

That's actually an advantage of linux.

There are some linux guides here, here and here.
  • Options
    Never get rid of root security. Single most important feature of a secure system - once you've stopped fiddling, you'll only use it once or twice a week :).
  • Options
    Oh, a VERY handy app for Linux is Win4Lin Pro, it will create a virtual Windows box so I can run Windows stuff inside Linux :).
  • Options
    where are the system monitors tho
  • Options
    What do you want to monitor? And from the GUI(if so, which desktop are you running), or command-line?

ctrl-esc in KDE will give you a list of running processes
    'top' from the command line will give you running processes, CPU usage, memory/swap use, etc.