Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the armish or amish lot.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i can't find a single thread about these amazing people ...why?

Comments

• Options

Gunman goes mad, kills schoolchildren, that's bad.

Not a lot to debate really...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

Not a lot to debate really...
    i'm surprised.
    had it been a school or even maybe an islamic communal way of life ...that was so dreadfuly interupted ...maybe there would be something to debate but seeing as its only them pesky xtrians ...nothing.
    how the hell they have managed to continue into the twenty first century the way they have is amazing.
    i find it intersting that their kids are let loose whenthey reach 16. for five years they go out into the world and do whatever ...85% iof them return to the farms ...that is amazing.
  • Options
    I find their willingness to forgive quite remarkable I must say. If someone had shot my daughter the last thing on my mind would have been forgiveness.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I find their willingness to forgive quite remarkable I must say. If someone had shot my daughter the last thing on my mind would have been forgiveness.

They are Christians. ;)

Quite a strange breed I find them but they seem perfectly happy in their weird wee world so I see no problem with that.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Because of their strong religious beliefs it makes it easier for them to forgive. They believe that by forgiving for everything they to will be forgiven and let into heaven.

They also strongly believe in heaven and know that their kids are in a better place which makes it "easier" for them to forgive.

Because I don't have a strong believe in God and all things heavenly (I want to believe in it but I kinda need prove to believe it) I would find it impossible to forgive.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20547442-2703,00.html

Quite amazing really.

There was a little while back a documentary on one of the sky channels about when the Amish teens are left to go out into the world and do whatever they want. It was interesting. They do deserve respect though despite seeming a bit strange, if only a few other religious groups could conduct themselves with similar dignity.
  • Options
    They are radically different from most other factions of Christianity. You could say they are closer to the teachings of the Bible than most others. Their refusal to use electricity derives directly from a rejection of materialism.

They're also commited pacifists who won't even sport a moustache or wear buttons because they resemble them of military men and uniforms.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    They also strongly believe in heaven and know that their kids are in a better place which makes it "easier" for them to forgive.
    I doubt that... they're supposed to be good Christians, and as far as I remember nowhere in the bible does it say that once you die, *poof* you go to heaven or hell. It says that you simply die, and on the day of judgement you go there.
    So they couldn't believe their children are in heaven now.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I find their willingness to forgive quite remarkable I must say.

Unless you are someone who has turned your back on them, then their forgiveness isn't so easily given.
  • Options

Because then we'd get into yet another debate about gun laws... :banghead:
  • Options
    one of the few religious communities i think many people could learn a lot from....
  • Options
    Funnily enough the papers were full of stories after this tragedy about how the Amish are suffering increases in Dwarfism due to inbreeding along with retardness and many many investigations into sexual abuse...Thats the jist of the media reporting out of America since 2 days after the mass killing.

Doesnt take them long to try to scandalise the victims, but then again, apart from their ability to build barns i didnt know anything about them prior to this...except what i saw in the film Kingpin.