Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Downloaded Fedora Iso

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
it says its a bootable image. i don't have any disks, so what now?

Comments

• Options
    i'm getting excited about the new OS.
    lots of usage meters and stuff. will be moving to a linux/xp duel boot throughout longhorns existence.
  • Options
    Fedora ISOs - C'mon guysh help

ok as i have no CDRs and no reliable DVDRs i want to boot off my slave hard disk. can i do this? what file needs to be extracted from the iso's so that the system will boot into the install program.
  • Options
  • Options
    can i install fedora on an NTFS harddrive?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    can i install fedora on an NTFS harddrive?
    There's no NTFS hard drive. There are NTFS partitions. You need to make room in your hard drive for a new partition, and it won't be NTFS.
  • Options
    There's no NTFS hard drive. There are NTFS partitions. You need to make room in your hard drive for a new partition, and it won't be NTFS.

great i'm downloading partition magic. but how do i know what 'dev/hd...' is called. i've got it booting into the install ok, but i don't know how to find the name of the harddisk i'm booting from. when asked the following, the format is something like

where are the iso images?...

hda1
    hda2
    hdb
    hdc

etc
  • Options
    hdX where X is a letter are hard drives, cdroms etc. hdXY where Y is a number a partition in each hard drive.
    I don't know of any definite way to find out which hd is your hard drive. It might not even be hd, mine for example is sda (it's a sata). But if you see things like hda1, then it's a hard drive.
  • Options
    hdX where X is a letter are hard drives, cdroms etc. hdXY where Y is a number a partition in each hard drive.
    I don't know of any definite way to find out which hd is your hard drive. It might not even be hd, mine for example is sda (it's a sata). But if you see things like hda1, then it's a hard drive.

ok one 3/4 options i tried (all hdxy) were 'no iso's found' so i could rule them out, but on hd4 of them the installer CRASHED erg. so not sure what to do.

what's 'mounting'
  • Options
    Mounting is, in short, telling the OS in which directory to show you the files that exist in a specific device.
    I don't really know what you mean by "no iso found", everything I've installed is from a CD/DVD.
  • Options
    ok last question. what file system should i format a new partition to?
  • Options
    The installer should format it itself, usually it's ext3 but some distros use a different format. You shouldn't have to be asked though.
    Also sorry, I forgot you were installing fedora. I edited the reply above.
  • Options
    i'm installing fedora now, only burnt one cd i'm hoping i can just point the software at g:\fedora5cd2.iso