Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bedwetting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm kinda nervous about all of this so altho i'm going to the doctors in a few days i guess i wanted some reassurance or something

I started my first year of uni last weekend. Its the first time i've ever lived away from home so obviously i was pretty nervous about it. Anyway in the last week i've wet the bed four times. I' not the kind of girl who goes out drinking heavily everynight so it can't be anything to do with that, and apart from this i've been feeling fine in myself. I've booked a docotrs appointment for next week, but i guess i just wanted some reassurance or something from you guys as its shook me up, as i don't think i'd wet the bed before this week since i was about 10

Anyway guys i'd be grateful for any advice or anything

Comments

• Options
    while this presents no risks, i'd suggest a psychologist. lots of fresh air. double over your quilts.

and simple stuff like peeing before you goto bed.
    very interesting, the one time i pissed the bed, it happened cos i couldn't be arsed to wake up in time.
  • Options
    Do you have a weak bladder in your waking hours? Try not drinking any fluids for at least 3 hours before bed and go to the toilet just before.

Though if you have just started uni i wonder if it could be stress related?
  • Options
    I figuered it might be stress related as i've never had this kind of problem before, but i don't really feel particularly stressed

I do pee/need to pee quite alot during the day...or at least seem to more than my friends, if thats what you meant
  • Options
    Have you been drinking more fluids than usual?
  • Options
    not that i've noticed, but i guess i could be...its just freaked me out a bit
  • Options
    Hmm could be a symptom of a urinary tract infection. Best get it checked out with your gp.
  • Options
    Yeah i've got an appointment on tuesday...just really wanted to talk to someone about it, and get some reassurance as its not really something i can go and talk to my new flat mates about!
  • Options
    Perfectly understandable, sometimes it's just easier talking to strangers than friends.
  • Options
    Quite possibly stress. Either way i'm sure your doctor will advise :)
  • Options
    I'd second stress or nerves, even if you don't realise it.

Are you taking any medication? That could be another cause. Keep yourself well hydrated during the day and avoid drinking lots in the evening, you may find that helps.

Good luck with the doctor though, that's definitely the best plan.
  • Options
    Karen_2006 wrote:
    Anyway guys i'd be grateful for any advice or anything

Whilst it isn't all that common, it is more common than most people would be willing to admit. I wet the bed frequently as a child - right up into my late teens. I think it stopped being a regular thing when I was 16 or so, but it would still happen from time to time when I was stressed, worried, or concerned. Even the things that didn't bother me consciously - exams, driving test, girls, etc - they could all have an effect on my ability to see the night through.

Whilst it'll no doubt make you feel ashamed, faulty, abnormal, weird, etc - you're really not. It is something that affects many, many people at various stages of their lives.

Go and talk to your GP - it'd be nice if you found one you felt comfortable around. That's about all the advice I can give you - I don't know what made me stop. There wasn't one particular thing, or a defining moment. It just stopped when I was in my mid-teens. I guess it happened another 6-10 times after that(when stressed, as mentioned), but I've had nothing for some 6 or 7 years now... People often begin to lose control of their fluid control when they are faced with something unsettling - a big change in lifestyle, the death of someone close, the demise of a relationship - it isn't anything important, it's just something that can happen to some of us. :)

Don't worry about it - if it happens, then it happens. Really, really, don't let it get to you. I'm sure it will pass in no time at all, once you have adjusted to the big change in your life - it must be scary moving away from home, friends, family, etc. It's bound to have an impact on you - whether mental or physical. You'll not be the only one experiencing this, I'm sure!! :)