Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does DDR work in DDR2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys and Gals,

Quick question for you i'm looking at building myself a new system, i've found a very nice Asus barebone system with AMD AM2 64 3500 CPU + a 320GB HDDfor £216. The Asus motherboard say its DDR2.

My current PC at home runs DDR (PC2700). What i was hoping to do is take the RAM out of my old PC and put it in the new system (till i can buy some DDR2). Does anyone here know if DDR will fit and work in a DDR2 slot?

Sorry i should really know this but i've not really been keeping up on PC tech for the last year (as work buy whole systems and wont let be build to spec :crying: )

Comments

• Options
    I've been told that it doesn't. I think that's the whole point of AM2 over 939.
  • Options
    No it doesnt. You have to have a DDR2 compatible mobo, and the slots are different anyway.
  • Options
    bugger looks like i'm buying some ddr2 then. more money :crying:
  • Options
    Well i've just gone and spent money i didn't really have on the following

Asus V2-AH2 Barebone (Athlon AM2 1000FSB DDRII on board VGA AGP SATA2 PCI-E Giga LAN 6ch.audio USB2 Firewire)
    320 GB Seagate Barracuda® SATA2 7200rpm 16MB cache
    AMD AM2 Athlon 64 3500 Retail Boxed inc Fan, Socket AM2, 940 PIN
    Corsair® Value Select 512Mb DDR2 PC4200

Totaling £260

Plus a PCI-Express card i can *Cough* borrow from work. then take other bits out of old pc. Will upgrade Ram, GFX and monitor later when have more money i cant afford hehe.
  • Options
    DDR2 is yet another example of why upgrading PC's at the moment is chucking good money after bad.

i can't believe all these tweaks are really all that much different in 'real life'.
  • Options
    apparently DDR2 aint always faster then normal DDR dpends if the data you access is sequential or totally random