Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how much money would it cost to drive 80 miles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The title is a bit odd but my point is i'm looking at a university which is in cambridge approx 40 miles away from me but i want to commute as i don't want to live in halls. So my question is how much money would i be spending on petrol to drive approx 80 miles a day(there and back)

Comments

• Options
    about a tenner a day i guess. what 30-40 miles per gallon? 4 pound a gallon, so around 10pounds.
  • Options
    It depends what you're driving.

I drove a small Fiesta for a 50 mile commute and it cost me about £13 per return journey of 100 miles. Plus parking of about £3 a day. But petrol prices have come down a smudge since then.
  • Options
    Depends on the car. At the moment, £10 should get you 80-110 miles in average cars. Bank on £10 for a return journey, anything less is a bonus. Unless you have an Impreza, and are getting 18-22mpg... then it'll cost you heaps more. Think I was getting 250-280 miles to £50 or thereabouts...
  • Options
    If it were me, I'd be more bothered about whether or not I could stick a 40 mile commute every time there was a lecture.
  • Options
    The car will be a fiat punto so it will probably have a 1.1 engine.

Mist- I don't exactly have much of a choice in terms of commuting if i go to london uni's its still a commute on train and tube.
  • Options
    my uni is 30 miles away and i've worked out (even though my petrol guage is broken!) that it costs around £3 to get there.

eta: why do you have to go to a london uni??
  • Options

With no traffic, expect £7-£9 for each return journey, if the car is good and looked after properly. Get stuck in traffic, and forget any expectations. I reckon you'll use a litre in around 20 minutes of idling, so you'll waste a gallon every hour and a half of idling. It all adds up... Stopping and starting will use a bit more, too.
  • Options
    ...yeh so basically wot i said
  • Options
    my uni is 30 miles away and i've worked out (even though my petrol guage is broken!) that it costs around £3 to get there.

eta: why do you have to go to a london uni??

I don't have to but i don't want to be far from home so it's either a london uni, anglia ruskin or hertfordshire uni that i'd go to
  • Options
    You can find the answer with a very simple basic math equation.

(Miles your driving / miles per gallon your car gets ) cost of gas per gallon = cost to drive x amount of miles.

Example:

(80/27)2.5= about 7.40 to go 80 miles.
  • Options

Mist- I don't exactly have much of a choice in terms of commuting if i go to london uni's its still a commute on train and tube.

It'll have a 1.2 engine...not that it'll make much difference.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    It'll have a 1.2 engine...not that it'll make much difference.

They do make a 1.1 punto as well actually smart arse :p
  • Options
    why don't you want to live in halls?
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    If it were me, I'd be more bothered about whether or not I could stick a 40 mile commute every time there was a lecture.
    even more tempting to sack the whole day off to chill, when you're miles away!
  • Options

Yeah my first Punto was a 1.1 55S Model (First Generation)

IF that's what you got and you're doign that many miles worth seeing if it needs a tuneup - mine did was about £20 to get done but saved me loads on petrol and drove a lot better afterwards.

God knows what 40 mile is like on your route but 15 miles towards London is about 90 minutes to 2 hours in traffic depending onthe time of the day and how many phantom road works are there (without anyone ever actually working on them)
  • Options
    I live 85 miles away from my uni, and commute there and back the two days a week I have lectures (it is a full time course). I only drive a Mini which isn't even 1 litre, but I would say I can do the 170 mile round journey on about £13-15 worth of petrol.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    even more tempting to sack the whole day off to chill, when you're miles away!

And 100 times more annoying when it's taken you 2 hours to get there for one lecture due to shitty traffic, and the lecturer is off ill and you have to go straight home.

Yes I am speaking from experience :grump:
  • Options
    I commuted to universtiy for my MA - about 50 miles each way every day I think - it took about an hour.

however I was going the other way from the rest of the traffic - out of london in the morning and back in the evening it would have been awful going the other way.

I quite enjoyed it - as i got to listen to the radio lots and knew what was going on, now i work in London and what with getting on the tube and stuff it takes me a hour to go around 10 miles to work on public transport.

I think my car was a 1.6 or a 1.4 and I could go for 4 days there and back on a full tank of petrol - but obv all cars eat petrol at a different rate. I was mostly driving on the motorway and then on country lanes.
  • Options
    Driving to cambridge shouldn't be too bad i wouldn't have thought it to be nowhere near as busy as london.
    I don't want to live in halls as i couldn't do the sharing kitchen thing and i cant handle noisy neighbours so the parties would do my head in.
  • Options
    Driving to cambridge shouldn't be too bad i wouldn't have thought it to be nowhere near as busy as london.
    I don't want to live in halls as i couldn't do the sharing kitchen thing and i cant handle noisy neighbours so the parties would do my head in.

Yeah everyones different. My mate lived in the halls last year and for the first few weeks she couldn't handle it. She's not shy as such, and enjoys partying, but she struggles to share a space with people she doesn't know well and being with about 7 other people all sharing the kitchen and living area had her in tears on the phone to me one night, she didn't feel happy. She's rented a house with some mates this year and I've barely heard from her.

If you know you wont like halls, I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself, if you're willing to do the commute. My aunties Punto is good for petrol apparently, and so is my friends (Think theirs could be a 1.2 though, I know my aunties probably is.)
  • Options

Maybe in Wales they do, but we've moved on over here :p

Seriously though, i don't even think they make 1.1s anymore.
  • Options
    mine won't be a new one its gonna be about a '97
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    There's no single answer for how much it'll cost. There are so many variables.
    Weekender Offender