Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Laptop and Windows Vista ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking into getting a new laptop as mine is 4 year old now and will cost a few hundered pounds to fix.

However I understand Windows Vista is due out in Jan 07, Is it worth waiting to buy and new laptop until Windows Vista is out and then it will come already loaded on a new laptop.

Im not really the most clued up person when it comes to adv/dis of new software. Does this seem like a good idea or should I just buy a laptop now with Windows XP loaded on it ?

I just dont want to buy and new laptop now with XP on it and in the new year wish I had waited and bought a laptop with Vista operating system?

Guess I just like to have new things :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    There's not really a hard and fast answer to this.

If manufacturers do decide to bundle Vista with their hardware it will undoubtedly be the cheapest way to get on the Vista wagon. It all depends on whether you can wait 4-6 odd months until they (may) start including it. Even then we don't know which of the umpteen flavours of Vista will be included.
  • Options
    new versions of OSs tend to be a bit error laden. fact.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    new versions of OSs tend to be a bit error laden. fact.

And, 5 years after being released, Windows XP has no bugs at all... :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    And, 5 years after being released, Windows XP has no bugs at all... :p
    No bugs at all? Shall I list the ones I've found myself?
    If you'd said "No huge bugs" I'd agree, based on my experience.
  • Options
    No bugs at all? Shall I list the ones I've found myself?
    If you'd said "No huge bugs" I'd agree, based on my experience.

Dude, I was taking the piss. Hence the :p tongue :p;).
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I'd wait mate.

Vista, whislt I hate it, comes with Direct X 10. Be sure to bu a DX10 compatible laptop - no DX9 things will support DX10 effects.
  • Options
    Dude, I was taking the piss. Hence the :p tongue :p;).
    Aha. Sorry, I misinterpreted it. :D
  • Options
    Lost Soul wrote:
    I'm looking into getting a new laptop as mine is 4 year old now and will cost a few hundered pounds to fix.

However I understand Windows Vista is due out in Jan 07, Is it worth waiting to buy and new laptop until Windows Vista is out and then it will come already loaded on a new laptop.

Im not really the most clued up person when it comes to adv/dis of new software. Does this seem like a good idea or should I just buy a laptop now with Windows XP loaded on it ?

I just dont want to buy and new laptop now with XP on it and in the new year wish I had waited and bought a laptop with Vista operating system?

Guess I just like to have new things :thumb:

Just buy a laptop now if you need one.

Every new version of windows is slower and more full of stuff you don't need.

I just bough a laptop with XP on it, crashed within days cos it was loaded with so much rubbish, wiped everything and installed a customised cut down version of XP and running slick as anything now.
  • Options
    Aha. Sorry, I misinterpreted it. :D

Not a problem ;). Most people on here know I have no time for Windows these days... I'm a big advocate of Linux and open-source :).
  • Options
    Not a problem ;). Most people on here know I have no time for Windows these days... I'm a big advocate of Linux and open-source :).
    Pretty much the same, though mostly as a user rather than a got-to-know-how-everything-works person. I just use windows for games (and for .NET programming, I guess, in the future).
  • Options
    buy a laptop now with XP, then make your own choice later next year to upgrade to vista.

at the moment the release date is for Jan 07, but this can be easily moved back by them to a later date, leaving you without a laptop for longer.

Vista is also going to be more demanding on resources, especially on memory and graphics, the 2 most expensive items on laptops, so if you are adament on upgrading when it comes out investment might be needed on these two things.

Plus when new laptops come out with vista, i dont think computer manufacturers are going to release laptops that are optimised for it. So you could buy a laptop now with XP, and in 6 months time the laptopa you bought would still be on sale, with the only differnence being vista is preloaded on it, and cost a couple hundred more, because vista is *gasp* New!

hope this makers sense :nervous: