Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ISPs & Upstream

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm with BT Yahoo which has a 40gig downstream use limit. i've just got into bittorrent. i have no problem with uploading in as far as it slows me down, but what i do have problems with is the 'fair usage policy' if i have 40 gig limit on the down, what would be my limit 'uploading', i've got 6gigs Qued to be downloaded over this week and seeing as i can't restrict uploads, will this zap all my upstream quota in one week.

BT do not make these guidelines clear enough and therefore i cannot be said to be bound by any upstream limitation.

Comments

• Options
    It's not 40gig downstream you have! That would be super super quick!

Downstream is your the speed that you download at/upstream is what you upload at. That 40gig is how much bandwidth you have to use each month.

I'm also with BT Yahoo and our upload speed is maxed at about 30kb/s (lame :rolleyes:). Set your your Bittorent client to upload at 9kb/s, I find that to work ok with our shitty upstream BT give us.

Also, I wouldn't bother seeding, leave that for the people with a good upstream.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    It's not 40gig downstream you have! That would be super super quick!

Downstream is your the speed that you download at/upstream is what you upload at. That 40gig is how much bandwidth you have to use each month.

I'm also with BT Yahoo and our upload speed is maxed at about 30kb/s (lame :rolleyes:). Set your your Bittorent client to upload at 9kb/s, I find that to work ok with our shitty upstream BT give us.

Also, I wouldn't bother seeding, leave that for the people with a good upstream.
    I have prog called 'costaware' which only shows how much you've down'd i think. is there a better prog i can get which will monitor 'bandwidth' as a whole.
  • Options
    Only know of netlimiter.com.
    NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic.

Along with this unique feature, Netlimiter offers comprehensive set of internet statistical tools. It includes real-time traffic measurement and long-term per-application internet traffic statistics
  • Options
    this has had me awake at night concernd about 'fair usage'. they should have this information on a website just for you. they're obviously keeping tabs so why not make this available rather than just tell you when you've gone too far.

its a sign of the times, everyone's getting lazy. do this unless someone says otherwise.
  • Options
    Do you mean your worried about using your 40gb bandwidth? I just milk it for all it's worth and never go over, doing 40gb in a month is some serious downloading.
  • Options
    Bandwidth limits are downloads + Uploads

I went over mine one month not cos of the downloads but cos of the huge number of people uploading from me.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Do you mean your worried about using your 40gb bandwidth? I just milk it for all it's worth and never go over, doing 40gb in a month is some serious downloading.

What would you consider 100gb per month then? :)
  • Options
    Knobbbly wrote:
    What would you consider 100gb per month then? :)

what do you download. im looking for stuff to get.
  • Options
    what do you download. im looking for stuff to get.

Hey, I download all legal stuff :) hehe! I guess you could waste a lot of bandwidth downloading DVD ISOs though :)
  • Options
    like i say i've been loosing sleep over bandwidth use. i've started downloading 24 - twenty four Xvid Season's 1,2,3 and 4 about 13 gigs in total. but add to that all the uploading you do with the same files, you're looking at a month's bandwidth in 4 files - right?
    since i've found bittorrent can be a lot quicker than p2p also iso's are so much more reliable and there's no 857.4kbs virus files like Limewire etc.
  • Options
    any good client is going to so your ratio (utorrent, etc) so you'll be able to see the amount pretty easily. the usage includes both up and down added together - so 12 gigs down with a 0.25 ratio would mean 12 downloaded and 3 uploaded - 15 gigs.
  • Options
    By the way, you should install a firewall and use PeerGuardian tohelp block the bad guys. http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    I'm also with BT Yahoo and our upload speed is maxed at about 30kb/s (lame :rolleyes:).

Thats about normal, upload speeds with ADSL is usually 256kb/s (32kB/s). thats still better then ntl with 200kb/s upload.

this really hits you when you run a server.
  • Options
    my upload speed is 486k, generally maintain around 45k/s up.. not too bad imo