Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Left contacts in

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yeah.. :no:

They're the non-breathing daily type thing and I was told I shouldn't wear them for over 10 hours, well, I slept for 12 hours alone prior to having worn them for over six. This is like one of my worst nightmares coming true...

They were almost glued to my eyeball, but I got them out and feel alright, although I feel a little weird in the head, not sure if it's me making things up out of nervousness or not (I did read some horror stories about contacts here ;)). Does anybody know if I'm in danger of something happening to my eyes now that I've taken them out?

Also, I can get longer lasting ones but bought these since I was getting used to putting them in and wearing them the past, but I've wondered if it's better to change? Any advice on that? I do have glasses as well that I use frequently, and have usually just worn contacts for sports/going out.

Comments

• Options
    You could get conjunctivitis, I got that when I used to pass out drunk in mine all the time. Not very nice :no:

You'll probably be fine though, its nothing major, just make sure your hygenic with them when putting them in/taking them out and you'll be fine.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for that!

I've tried my best to do this correctly and this is my first serious slip up. I very close to panicked when I realised, was mid-shower and ran out to remove them.

I'll make sure to not wear them for a while. I'm also due to buy new ones soon and might inquire about the monthly ones. The advice is well appreciated!
  • Options
    ive done it loads by mistake, in fact i used to sleep in them loads on purpose cos i was lazy, but i ended up with an eye ulcer.
    Occasionally falling asleep with them in is unlikely to cause any damage, but they will stick to your eyes in the morning, but give it a little while and they will loosen up again and you can take them out as normal.
    Most contact wearers have probably fallen asleep with them in drunk at some point.
  • Options
    They are more expensive than other contacts so you're looking at between £18-25 a month, depending on where you buy them from.

... and a shitload more expensive than glasses, which will cost you about £120 and last approx two years...
  • Options
    I've fallen asleep with mine in a few times, It's not nice waking up and feeling them on your eyes, but I dont think it's paticularly dangerous unless you do it every night :P
  • Options
    If they're out now and you've had no problems then you'll be fine, but be nice to your eyes and give them a couple of days break.

If you only wear them for sport you're probably best sticking with the daily disposables.
  • Options
    I'm feeling normal today, hurray! Got a little scared yesterday, but it looks as if I'll pull through. ;)

Thanks again!
  • Options
    If you make a regular thing of it then try the extended wear contacts. You sleep in them for up to a month then take them out and throw away - I wear them and they're fab. I forget I have atrocious eyesight most of the time. They are more expensive than other contacts so you're looking at between £18-25 a month, depending on where you buy them from.

I wear these as well and i think they are great. They are more expensive than glasses but if like me you hate glasses, these are so much better.

If you sleep in your contacts again. when you wake up make sure the contacts are hydrated before you try and take them out, either by leaving them in for an hour or using saline. taking them out when dry could pull a lining away from the eye, it will grow back but you cant wear contacts for a few days.

Your optition can advise you on everything, mine is really helpful.
  • Options
    There are all sorts of horrors that can arise from overwearing your lenses (sorry, I'm an optometry student, we learn all the gruesome stuff!). Most common is conjunctivitis, swollen cornea and blood vessels growing into the cornea. The last one only happens if you seriously overwear your lenses, and can result in major vision loss.

I wear the all-day-all-night lenses and they're a godsend!

Like other people have said, you have probably damaged the top layer of cells on your cornea, leave the lenses out for a couple of days. When you start re-wearing them, take them out at the first sign of discomfort and wear your specs for a few more days.
  • Options
    ... and a shitload more expensive than glasses, which will cost you about £120 and last approx two years...
    My glasses work out more expensive than my contacts as my prescription changes so often. With SpecSavers they just switch over any unopened boxes of contacts for free when your prescription changes.