Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University of Hull

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am considering going here in 2007 to do an undergraduate coure in English Lit. Does anyone here already go? Need to hear what people think :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    have you ever been to hull?
  • Options
    I believe Hull was voted the worst place to live in the UK a couple of years ago; I doubt that it's improved.

I had a friend who went to university there. During his three years he was burgled, mugged and beaten up twice on nights out.

It's up to you obviously, but the reputation hardly makes up for the surroundings; can't you do better?
  • Options
    Yeah. My cousin lives in Hull as well as my Gran, Grandad, Uncle and Aunt. That's the basis for it's appeal. My mum went to uni there too.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Yeah. My cousin lives in Hull as well as my Gran, Grandad, Uncle and Aunt. That's the basis for it's appeal. My mum went to uni there too.

My condolences.

What do they think?
  • Options
    Hey, I like Hull!
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Hey, I like Hull!

Then that's a big factor in your decision already in its favour. The university isn't particularly well thought of, what would you be studying?
  • Options
    English Literature
  • Options
    I've got a couple of mates there who love it and think it's a great place to be a student, two of them are going back to do masters so it can't be all bad.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I believe Hull was voted the worst place to live in the UK a couple of years ago; I doubt that it's improved.

I had a friend who went to university there. During his three years he was burgled, mugged and beaten up twice on nights out.

It's up to you obviously, but the reputation hardly makes up for the surroundings; can't you do better?

oh come off it.

it's an unwarranted stereoptype. you cannot say that because your friend has been beaten up that everyone else will too.

everywhere has rough areas.

so you know where you can take your attitude. :thumb:
  • Options
    My mate goes there and apparently the accomodation is well cheap :thumb: Always something to consider seeing as being a student nowadays is reallly expensive!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm sure its a good uni. It is in Hull though! :p
  • Options
    The uni's teaching is good, but the halls are bad, the private rentals are bad, and the university buildings are decrepid.

And its in Hull.

I hereby sentence you to Hull! *bangs gavel*
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I hereby sentence you to Hull! *bangs gavel*
    Quote thief :grump:
  • Options
    Harhar :P

Yeah I was reading the rent is very cheap! I'll do some more research about it but it's definitely an option. Plus I won't be too lonesome because half my family live there. And I want the accent...reeeeal bad! :hyper:
  • Options
    Quote thief :grump:

True, but its the way I tell em;)
  • Options
    I'd rather have decent teaching than a pretty building anyday! Cheap is good too. *thinks about switching to hull*
  • Options
    I know two people at Hull Uni and they like it. I haven't been there so don't really know but if you're thinking about it you should visit for yourself and make your own mind up. Academically I know it's got a good reputation.
  • Options
    Well I go to Hull Uni, and live in Hull... and contrary to what other posters, it's not as bad as most people seem to think (and as for it being voted Number 1 worst town, they mainly focused on the docks smelling bad. What do they EXPECT from Docks?! :yeees: )

It does have quite a good teaching rep, and English Lit here is supposed to be one of the best in the country (so says an aquaintence, who turned down Oxford and St Andrews to come here, and is now doing his Masters here).

Halls, I'm unfamilar with. I haven't heard anything bad from anyone who has stayed in them yet though, and there's some great student houses avalible for dirt cheap prices.

Plenty of nightlife, depending what sort of thing you're after. If you're into your rock music, there's a club that's been around for 25-or-so years that does drinks for 60p a shot. :yes:

Whilst it does have some bad parts, such as council estates, it's unlikely that you'd ever venture into these places (in fact, the accommadation is based in one of the swallowed-up villages called Cottingham). The campus itself is very leafy and green, as is the direct surrounding area.

Don't hesitate to ask for any more info!
  • Options
    Thankyou! I'll PM if I think of anything.

If you are still there in 2007 please be my friend
  • Options
    *Nods* will be!

I'm not living in Halls, so feeling a bit left out from it all, so that would definately be one piece of advice!
  • Options
  • Options
    Well no, he did. He's doing a Masters here too, and really does love the city.

According to him, he didn't feel comfortable at Oxford at all, and he said the course at Hull was better than at St Andrews. Perhaps he is making it up, but I don't see why seeing how I didn't even know he'd considered going to either of the other two and had never asked.