Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TheSite.org film club

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
In a blatent rip-off of the book club, I was thinking we should do a film club as well, for those of us who can't read. I guess it'd be the same thing of one film a month, preferably something fairly easy to get a copy of on DVD, or something on TV that month (the cinema might be a pain in the arse, because of release schedules and the fact that no good films get shown at my cinema). Thoughts? Anyone up for it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Hurray! Finally something fun i want to join in with!
    Let's do this thing!
  • Options
    Okay. I'll do a nominations thread tomorrow then. Start thinking of stuff.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Yeah I would be up for it, and with a bit of luck the films we end up watching will be of a better standard than the books we've had so far :razz:

Yeah, stuff like xXx! homg, this is exciting!

Yep, I'd be interested ;)
  • Options
    I'm in! Please don't pick shit that's on the telly though.... unless you can also get it on DVD and then it's not a problem...

Are we goin all film snobby or just picking a movie that we liked and think others should watch too?

I nominate American History X
  • Options
    What a great idea!!!! :P
    We must have Betty Blue first. I want you all to watch it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I'm in! Please don't pick shit that's on the telly though.... unless you can also get it on DVD and then it's not a problem...

Are we goin all film snobby or just picking a movie that we liked and think others should watch too?

I nominate American History X

Excellent nomination. I really feel for that film.
  • Options

Where did you get your copy from?
    Ah ignore me, I see it's £7.99 delivered from HMV...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I'm up for this. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If I can get hold of the DVD's Im more than willing to join in as I can make the BF watch them with me, so am more likely to get round to it. Unfortunetly, I am skint, and theres nowhere that does a decent DVD rental service in my area anyway. So I'll have to search long and hard for things.
  • Options
    What about a second hand DVD shop nikki? Or your library? I know mine does DVDs pretty cheap, hopefully it's the same as it is with books where you can order any one from your district's catalogue to be delivered to your local library for you...
  • Options
    This sounds a much better idea than the book club. I can spare a couple of hours a month but i dont have time to sit and read a book anymore.
    American History X is a great film that raises a lot of discussions so good nomination.

My nominations are for:

Sleepers
    The cider house rules
    Paycheck
    Children of the corn
    and
    Tank girl
  • Options
    one thing, can we ban chick flicks and action adrenaline films from being nominated? I think it's only fair.

Mr I'mwithstupid, how about creating some ground rules as in no nominating of films because the actor/actress is fit and such?
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    one thing, can we ban chick flicks and action adrenaline films from being nominated? I think it's only fair.

Mr I'mwithstupid, how about creating some ground rules as in no nominating of films because the actor/actress is fit and such?

but, but, but... ok, you're right.
  • Options
    i don't know how the book thing works, I've never read the thread about it so I don't know how this works.
    Anyone go over it quickly for me please?
    :)
  • Options
    nominate a film that we think others would like/ find interesting to discuss. The first ten (or however many) films mentioned go in a poll. The film that's picked from the poll is film for the next month (or other specified time). At the end of that time, everyone who has managed to watch the film can post their opinions in a new thread on it, and maybe a live chat too.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:

I don't think it should be a problem tbh. Hopefully everyone's gonna pick films they're interested in discussing. And I don't wanna get all film-snobby.Though I am tempted to ban anything starring the Olsen Twins. The only rules should be that it is pretty easy to get a copy on DVD. And bonus points go to anyone that nominates something in my DVD collection that I haven't watched yet.

Right, I'll start a nominations thread at about 5 tomorrow. First ten to post get nominated. One film per person. :thumb:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :yippe: great idea - we can run a live chat too if you like, as that's what we did for the last book club discussion.
  • Options
    It might be an idea for someone to go through the TV listings for the week ahead to see if there's anything worth watching on TV, so that'll be free. Most peeps have freeview/sat. Radiotimes.com have a good listing guide as you can personalise the chanels you wish to see, and you can view up to 14 days in advance, and you usually get a decent review of the film.

Just an idea.
  • Options
    I'm up for this.

I nominate Amores Perros, possibly my favourite film.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/amores_perros

And Titanic.

(only joking)
    :naughty:
  • Options
    I dont have a TV :(
    I do have a dvd player though. If its a TV film make sure its available on DVD or to download, not that I would do that.
  • Options
    I'm in for it, if its a dvd that can be rented easily as I wont have the $$ to buy a DVD every month and my library DVD section is rubbish.

and I nominate Dead Man Walking
  • Options

I am seconding this as its an excelletn film!
  • Options
    Well make sure you're there when I post the nominations thread. It should be around 5, but my boss wants to have a "chat about my progress" at some point today, so I might be called away from my more important duty temporarily.

I was thinking that this time the nominations should be completely open, but then after that, we could introduce a theme of some sort. So for example, asian cinema, or films from the 70's, or horror films, or any other category to make it a bit more interesting.
  • Options
    I think, as per GWST's suggestion following the book club poll, nominated films ought to be seconded before they make it to poll.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I think, as per GWST's suggestion following the book club poll, nominated films ought to be seconded before they make it to poll.

You know the problem with this (and the book club)?

People can only nominate films they have seen. What if someone had seen a great film which didn't get seconded just because no one else had happened to see it?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    You know the problem with this (and the book club)?

People can only nominate films they have seen. What if someone had seen a great film which didn't get seconded just because no one else had happened to see it?
    Well I was going to address that one. Basically, any film nominated has to be accompanied by a link to imdb, so that everyone can have a look at what it's about, and possibly also to the website Rotten Tomatoes, which is like a database of reviews, so that we can see what the critics thought of it. Oh, and I'm going to nominate films I haven't seen. That's the whole point of it really.

Oh, and I'll be nominating things I want to see, not things I've already seen.