Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No 75hz?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I've just got a new tft wide screen monitor and its great! It can either support 60hz or a 75hz refresh rate @ 1440 x 900 but if I try the 75hz it will work until I restart the computer or launch a full screen application, at which point it will be all borked. Trying to fix it is a big headache too, because I have to restart in safe mode and try and fix it through there. Of course, when you re-launch into 'non-safe' mode it remembers the crappy settings and loads them.

Loaded a restore point and whats it gone and done? Somehow, it's broken freelancer. This was only from 2 days ago!!! Computers are stupid sometimes.

And another thing, how come if my computer takes 30 seconds to load normally, but in safe mode it takes about 3 minutes??? I thought there was less to load. Probably something to do with precaching...

But yea, why doesn't my monitor work on its advertised 75hz? Or is it simply too much for my graphics card?

Comments

• Options
    What monitor is it?

It's more likely to be monitor than card really. Most cards should do fine with much higher resolutions than that at much faster refresh rates, because CRTs can use the higher rates.

It takes longer in safe mode because it has to load in all the standard stuff that's not normally used, I guess.
  • Options
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW.

It's not a CRT, it's a TFT... if thats of any consequence.
  • Options
    I've never seen a TFT that needed to run over 60 Hz - why do you need it to run at 75 Hz anyway? some fast moving game?
  • Options
    No... its a fine picture heh I just was confused because it said it could yet can't. 60hz is doing me fine :p. I just like to whinge...
  • Options
    Samsung SyncMaster 940BW.

It's not a CRT, it's a TFT... if thats of any consequence.

Yeah I know I was just saying that the graphics cards would go at the faster speeds easily enough...

Have you used the drivers for the monitor? I found this in a review -

"The monitor boasts its optimum resolution as 1400x900, yet I was unable to get this setting to appear until I installed the drivers disk that came with the monitor"
  • Options
    Yea, have installed the drivers.

One thing I've noticed is that there is some 'blurring' which is confusing. Like, around letters, where its trying to compensate for a white/black divide being in a pixel so it gives a grey, which makes it look a bit off.

I'm using the DVI cable, and have it set to its native resolution, so a bit bizarre...
  • Options
    I'm using the DVI cable, and have it set to its native resolution, so a bit bizarre...

I always thought DVI sampled the signal at 60Hz, and the refresh rate should be set to that.
  • Options
    I always thought DVI sampled the signal at 60Hz, and the refresh rate should be set to that.

That'd be why then.

It's gone all pink now. I've got half a dozen ways to tweak it and yet it just doesn't look right all over. Like, where it's supposed to be white there are loads of flashing pink dots!!
  • Options
    Ok... it seems the 'pink' is a bit intermittent. Like, sometimes the colour will go back to normal. Is it a) a dodgy monitor b) a dodgy graphics card c) speakers near the monitor d) some other thing.

Hehe, this is almost funny :p
  • Options
    To be honest with the not reaching max resolution and the blurry stuf and the pink it sounds like the screen is duff.
  • Options
    Well, I think mainly it's my fault playing about with it. It's got loads of intelligent stuff, and they're alright. But it did look like screen 'radiation' or something. Anyway, it's got 3 years call out warranty or something, although I got sent the warranty card without a dealers stamp :/ so dont know if it's actually valid lol.

I've never used a flatscreen before and they seem to prefer to set themselves up, as apposed to the obligatory 15 minute fiddle with a CRT. There is no 'reset to default' option that I can find, though. May just remove the drivers and plug everything back in.

I think a problem may be because I was overclocking my gpu at the time when it started going pink.
  • Options
    Going through samsungs knowledge banks, i tried it with the VGA cable instead of the DVI and it was fine. But when I first got the monitor, the DVI was fine, so I must have broke something...
  • Options
    Or it was already broken but had some life in it.

The monitor is faulty. Get it replaced.
  • Options
    I will give it another few days :p

So, it works fine in windows now after leaving it unplugged and turned off for a while. But in games the colour still goes a bit off. I mean by this, between different shades it has a green dotted boundary, rather than a 'merge' between the two shades.

But as its fine in windows now, im sure it's something I've done wrong. May e-mail Samsung to see if they can give me a helpful response. I bought it off ebuyer and they dont refund postage so am loathed to return it. Though I do have a 3 year on-site warranty :chin: