Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eco-cities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody else on here interested in eco-cities?

I just ... er, borrowed a New Scientist mag from the doctor's and it had a big article on them. Got a few books on the subject, too.

Eco-cities favour public transportation, walking and cycling over car use, offer much easier access to green spaces, and are generally built to be much more environmentally friendly.

And they DON'T have to be high rise. 3 stories is more than enough.

Basically, they look far cooler places to live than our current car dominated cities. And are much better for the environment.

I want to live in one now. Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    Some cities are partway there, with pedestrianisation of city centres. Leicester where I live is going to do it, but of course everyone is complaining. But when they're stuck in traffic for 10 minutes every day they seem perfectly content?

Seems bizarre...
  • Options
    To be honest your description resembles that of many cities in the Continent. Amsterdam comes to mind. The priorities given to trams and bicycles are certainly refreshing. :)
  • Options
    Fine in theory - but cities don't just spring up over night. You simply couldn't restart and make somewhere such as London, Belfast or Leeds an eco-city overnight, but do small incremental steps.
  • Options
    You could restrict non-commercial vehicles from circulating during business hours in congested city centres. There is certainly no need for anyone to bring their cars into Central London, and I should think that is the case with every other major city in the UK.
  • Options
    I like the idea a lot and I'd love to live in a place like that, perhaps with plenty of recycling points and some lovely vegetarian resteraunts and plenty of opportunities for localised markets. Jack, if you're interested in the environment check out the Ecologist, or some articles in the New Internationalist... Both good reads.

Kingston is fairly good on some environmental points... We have green boxes to recycle with, points all over the town to put cans and plastic bottles in and lots of cycle paths... Still, why some people drive around in their jeeps (why the heck do you need one in the city???) and cars and get stuck in the horrible traffic here bewilders me. Despite being better for a lot of things than where I'm originally from, Kingston still has a fairly big eco-footprint.
    You could restrict non-commercial vehicles from circulating during business hours in congested city centres. There is certainly no need for anyone to bring their cars into Central London, and I should think that is the case with every other major city in the UK.

Nice one, it should be done... And four by fours and big cars shouldn't be allowed for commercial use either. However, maybe for people in rural areas, especially ones who are in poorer areas perhaps the government should be more lenient on... Anybody who has seen how poor public transport is in areas like North Wales will agree. :yes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    To be honest your description resembles that of many cities in the Continent. Amsterdam comes to mind. The priorities given to trams and bicycles are certainly refreshing. :)
    your right about amsterdam. the public transport system never seems to fail and the use of bikes is sio widespread.
  • Options
    Go to any far Eastern country like China and all you'll see is bikes!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Go to any far Eastern country like China and all you'll see is bikes!
    not any more mate. changing very fast ...and for the worst.
    all them four b fours nop one can sell here are ending up there along with ...every other car you cvan name ...millions of 'em.
    the bike is on it's way out big time.
  • Options
    the bike is on it's way out big time.

It'll come back sooner than you think. We're going to have to face up to the fuel crisis at some stage, I see big bike and coal comebacks!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    It'll come back sooner than you think. We're going to have to face up to the fuel crisis at some stage, I see big bike and coal comebacks!
    coal powered bikes!
  • Options
    I saw a really interesting TV programme the other day about an Eco City they are building in China I think in Shanghai - it looked very nice - but it was a new part of the city and it was essentially taking agricultural land away - which had originally provided a buffer zone between sea and the city (in case of flooding and stuff).
  • Options
    I've been to Amsterdam and it's not exactly my idea of an eco city. There are still cars everywhere. And I don't remember it being very green at all. More grey. But could just have been the time of year I suppose.

To me an eco city would ban cars entirely. (Although there'd still be some on the outskirts for driving to and from the city, and I suppose little vans or something for the movement of goods.) Only then do you get all the benefits: proper clean air, pedestrians having priority, amazing public transport etc.

And also there'd be loads more greenery. I picture an urban/countryside cross. Trees everywhere, lots of nearby farms etc. Even in the middle of the city.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    There is certainly no need for anyone to bring their cars into Central London, and I should think that is the case with every other major city in the UK.

There is if you want to get to work on time. And in something resembling comfort and dignity.

In the UK, unlike in the Continent, the bus companies employ scuffers and layabouts on minimum wage to drive the buses, so they never come on time because the drivers are too busy smoking at the depot, and that's if they actually give the scuffer a bus to drive in the first place. And then if the bus driven by a scuffer turns up, its full to bursting with farting sixth formers so you can't get a seat, and there's always another council estate scuffer with their mobile playing noise. And then the driver thinks he's playing Destruction Derby, so on top of all that you get the beautiful tones of some council estate scruffball leaning out of the window swearing at all at sundry, and stopping to chat with his mate coming the other way.

Needless to say, when I can afford to, I'm gonna drive. £50 a month to stand up and be sworn at by some charver cunt on minimum wage? No, ta.

Getting back to the point, bikes are great if its flat, and where its flat they're used. Most of the UK isn't flat.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Fine in theory - but cities don't just spring up over night.

Actually there have been quite a few cities that have just appeared out of nowhere. Canberra and Washington DC I believe. Brasilia for definite. And in this country? Milton Keynes. Not quite a city, but I don't think it's much smaller than say York.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There is if you want to get to work on time. And in something resembling comfort and dignity.
    If you can get into Central London by car faster than you would by public transport I'll give you £1,000 a month for the rest of my life.

In fact, I'll even give you the money if you manage to get to work by car only half an hour later than you would by public transport.

Car= not needed at all whatsoever for commuting into city centres.
  • Options
    If there's a train or metro/tube then that's quicker, but buses are normally slower, because they never turn up.

Also at least in a car you can listen to your own music and not have to smell the cheap perfume and farts of a load of scabby sixth formers.
  • Options
    Buses in London have improved enormously mate; that's one thing at least we have Ken to thank for. I'm not saying the same is the case up where you live.

Though it is true that it's a lot nicer to be in your car by yourself than standing up for an hour with a smelly bloke inches from your face.
  • Options
    Ken's told Souter and the rest what to do, and London's buses are very good, and really quite cheap.

Up here the bus companies have free reign, and as such, all the buses are driven by illiterate Poles and scabby estate scuffers. It's like Alton Towers, only more expensive.

I'd like to see the PTEs get the same rights as Ken, and maybe then the bus would be a credible alternative. But I'm sick of having to get the bus 15 minutes before I need to because I can't trust the one I should get. I'm sick of always being either late or comically early at work.
  • Options
    The buses around here are alright. Most of the time they're late it's because of the school run (or has only just started happening since the kids went back to school). I've not seen many kids on the bus yet.

Commuting wise, cars are a fucking menace. All they seem to do is sit in traffic jams pumping out shit (yes, I know buses can be pretty dirty) with each person taking up 4/5/6 times as much space as they need. Generally, I couldn't give a damn, because they bus has it's own lane, but walking past the traffic jam to the shop is a rather smelly experience (and I beat the cars :D).

Maybe I'm just lucky to live in a city with reasonable public transport.

Eco cities do sound pretty cool :yippe:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If you can get into Central London by car faster than you would by public transport I'll give you £1,000 a month for the rest of my life.

Off peak it's generally quicker to drive into Central London from Amersham (last stop on the Met line..) than get the train in. And if you want to go to the city there prob isn't much in it if you drove to Liverpool Street/Bank. Other than on a Sunday though when parking isn't a prob I'd never drive into Central London but it can sometimes make sense. If Crossrail is ever built that won't be the case but will it be built in our lifetime? :p
    Kermit wrote:
    In the UK, unlike in the Continent, the bus companies employ scuffers and layabouts on minimum wage to drive the buses, so they never come on time because the drivers are too busy smoking at the depot, and that's if they actually give the scuffer a bus to drive in the first place. And then if the bus driven by a scuffer turns up, its full to bursting with farting sixth formers so you can't get a seat, and there's always another council estate scuffer with their mobile playing noise. And then the driver thinks he's playing Destruction Derby, so on top of all that you get the beautiful tones of some council estate scruffball leaning out of the window swearing at all at sundry, and stopping to chat with his mate coming the other way.

Needless to say, when I can afford to, I'm gonna drive. £50 a month to stand up and be sworn at by some charver cunt on minimum wage? No, ta.

:lol: Can't say I've used the buses your way. I've used the buses in Leeds and Edinburgh and never really had any probs, although tbh some of what you say does apply in Leeds going from my nan's experience there. (Bus drivers finding it funny to drive straight past a few people waiting for the bus...)

The buses like the tube in London is a mixed bag. Ken has concentrated too much on buses, it's the tube that needs the most improvement - although to be fair the government should take much of the blame for not putting the proper investment in the tube and carrying on the policy of past govts of both parties - i.e. underfunding it.
  • Options
    I think the trouble with the Tube is that its hard to make quick improvements, and any improvements that can be made will be very very expensive. £200,000 on a new LoLiner bus, new bus shelters and raised kerbs and everyone can see it straight away, but with the Tube, any works started now will take ten years to be completed.

I'm just in a bad mood regarding Stagecoach in Newcastle at the minute, as for the last week I have either been ten minutes late for work because the bus didn't come, or I've been 25 minutes early because I've had to get an earlier one to make sure I wasn't 10 minutes late for work. The route is supposed to have a bus every 10 minutes, but all this means is that the drivers don't bother with the timetable as it doesn't matter in their eyes. Who cares if someone is 10 minutes late for work?

And all the students for the college stink of cauliflower fart and/or cheap perfume.

Had one driver last week who cut up a whole line of traffic, and then got out of the cab to swear and shout at another driver for daring to be pissed off. At least our bus drivers speak English, though- across the river they're all Poles and Bulgarians who don't understand anything apart from "MetroCentre" and "town".
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm just in a bad mood regarding Stagecoach in Newcastle at the minute, as for the last week I have either been ten minutes late for work because the bus didn't come, or I've been 25 minutes early because I've had to get an earlier one to make sure I wasn't 10 minutes late for work. The route is supposed to have a bus every 10 minutes, but all this means is that the drivers don't bother with the timetable as it doesn't matter in their eyes. Who cares if someone is 10 minutes late for work?
    Ours is run be Stagecoach and is exactly the same. There's two bus stops on the same street, and only the second one has a set timetable. So they always rush past the first one five minutes early, and sit at the second one 'til the correct time, which is just enough for you to almost walk and catch the bus, and for it to bugger off when you're nearly there. So you've got to arrive at the first bus stop ten minutes early, at which point the bus driver will hilariously decide to come ten minutes late, meaning you're there for 20 minutes and could've walked most of the way. Arriva in Wales are only every 20 or 30 minutes, but at least they stick to the timetable, so you know when to get there.
  • Options
    We don't even get that- our stop is the timetable stop, and still they fly past whenever they want. My bus is due at 12 minutes past, so many times I've left the house at 7 or 8 minutes past just to see the bus pulling away (and my house is 50yds from the stop).

Must be a Stagecoach thing.
  • Options
    I suppose little vans or something for the movement of goods

only if they are the old school 2CV's ones
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Must be a Stagecoach thing.

Their trains aren't a right lot better.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Buses in London have improved enormously mate; that's one thing at least we have Ken to thank for. I'm not saying the same is the case up where you live.

Though it is true that it's a lot nicer to be in your car by yourself than standing up for an hour with a smelly bloke inches from your face.
    I've never driven... I just don't want to. I don't mind catching the bus really, or the tube... I'm a people watcher so I enjoy it. I wish the tubes were open 24 hours though... It's a bitch trying to get back from Camden late at night.
  • Options
    London buses are fine in central London, but they're crap in Walthamstow, disgustingly dirty half the time and totally random on whether they turn up or not.

Tube's either brilliant or you're delayed for hours because of signals or because the trains in front has broken down.

For the amount we pay in taxes to St Ken transport in London is shite.
  • Options
    Buses in London have been a great improvement in the last few years, even if in some areas there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Thanks to relentless fining and extensive use of CCTV cameras bus lanes are for the first time in history clear during operating hours. Only a few years ago bus lanes were largely ignored and blocked by motorists, as it had always been before.

There is a chronic underinvestment problem in public transport, though that's not something that can be blamed on Ken. The truth is a lot more money is needed before any further improvements are introduced. The government is certainly to blame for letting fucking private companies get their greedy hands into running parts of the Tube infrastructure... that makes things worse not better.
  • Options
    coal powered bikes!
    that sounds fun. :D it may sounds funnier if i am actually riding on it

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b32/InThisCatapult/misc/RoperMotorcycle.jpg