Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Horse Riding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I used to be seriously horsey as a young teenager but since about the age of 14/15 I've only ridden really sporadically whilst on holiday and things. Anyway this weekend i went riding (whilst on holiday) and although my knees hurt like buggery - i think i want to take it up again.

But I don't know to what end..... one of the main reasons why i gave up last time was because I got to the stage where I was only going to get really good if I had a horse of my own and I couldnt' afford to get one and a quick look at the livery prices in London tells me there is still no way i could afford one now as an adult.

So i'm kind of asking other vaguely horse loving people if there is any point in starting again and any goals I could aim for.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I rode for 7 years as a kid, and have taken it up again fairly recently, despite suffering for the whole week afterwards!

It depends what you want from it, really. I just want to have a laugh and get a bit fitter, so I've joined an adult group lesson where we just do different stuff every week. It's not exactly top class horsemanship, but we all have a good time.

If you want to ride more seriously, but can't afford it, you could look into sharing a horse, or part-loaning. Brings the costs down, and you'll still get to ride a few times a week.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I used to go riding a fair bit with one of my mates, though I was never that good. My sister used to have a horse and almost all of my girl friends ride, doing trials and cross country.

Where did you go riding in the Forest, across the heath?

I wouldn't mind getting back into it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I rode for about 6 years as a kid and then i started again a couple of years ago.
    I attend a group for an hour, weekly. We do alternate weeks of jumping/flat work.
    The group i ride with are a pretty good standard. A few of them are working towards gaining qualifications(level 3 whatever that means), some of them have their own horses and compete, then theres a few like me who just go to enjoy it.

If you wanna be working towards acheiving something, find a good riding school that you can pass riding levels at, or one that has event you could take part in by loaning a horse for a day from there.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

Where did you go riding in the Forest, across the heath?

Yes I think near Bashey possibly hum i'm not that sure though. It was OK but kind of boring as we only walked and trotted as it was kind of a beginners thing - and i wanted to go faster.

My friend who also came riding with me says he might be up for doing some as well. I want to basically do some jumps and go out on hacks - but not in a you follow me way - I want to be in the lead.

I also don't think i've enough time at the moment to get a horse even on part loan unless I got it only over the weekends as i currently already get up at 6.30 and don't get home from work until at least 19.00 at live at least half an hours drive from any kind of green fields.
  • Options
    I would probably advise finding a riding school that you can ride at on the weekends. Look for a yard that is clean, well organised/mantained and that has efficient staff. From experience the bad ones are the dives that are run by children or people who just want to herd through learners and don't worry too much about what you're learning. I rode until i was 13 and then started again 4 years ago. I won't lie, it is a bloody hard slog as it is a difficult/dangerous sport even at basic level and takes a lot of patience and understanding, if you want to hack out and jump you will need to put the hours in at lessons for quite a while first. But on the very plus side it is a great sport with great animals. I've had my horse for 2 1/2 years and i love it but it's hard work, riding and looking after her. I learnt so much about riding when i bought her. Hope you find somewhere that suits you and it all goes well :)