Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

installing dvd/cd rewriter to laptop.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I've just brought a laptop off ebay and it has a separate cd rewriter and dvd player included. I was wondering how i install this so it can be used and if i need any software for it to work? I tried connecting it to the laptop and installing it manually by 'adding new hardware' in the control panel but doesn't find the cd/dvd player. The light flashes on the thing when it is plugged in so i know it can't be broken but if i load a disk nothing happens.

Oh yeh connected it to my desktop pc and it installs itself automatically on there so can't work out what is going on. My desktop has xp and my laptop windows 2000 pro, will this make a difference?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I would assume it shoud of came with a driver/software disk? if not then the reason its not picking up is because your lappy is running on Windows 2000 and the drivers are needed. Your solution to the problem is to either google the name of the device for drivers eg. " samsung 1042b drivers" or look on the manufacturers website.

If you want to do more complex burning rather than using the windows option you will need a program like Nero or Roxio.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    My desktop has xp and my laptop windows 2000 pro, will this make a difference?

Windows 2000 pro dont always detect the drivers as XP Does

Have you considerd upgrading?

And yeah just look at the label or something and it should tell you and you can go to the site or just google!
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    Hey,

I've just brought a laptop off ebay and it has a separate cd rewriter and dvd player included. I was wondering how i install this so it can be used and if i need any software for it to work? I tried connecting it to the laptop and installing it manually by 'adding new hardware' in the control panel but doesn't find the cd/dvd player. The light flashes on the thing when it is plugged in so i know it can't be broken but if i load a disk nothing happens.

Oh yeh connected it to my desktop pc and it installs itself automatically on there so can't work out what is going on. My desktop has xp and my laptop windows 2000 pro, will this make a difference?

Thanks

Might help if you shared the make and model of the laptop / drive with everyone since there's at least 2 type of connectors it could be USB 2 or maybe PCMCIA connector?
  • Options
    Might help if you shared the make and model of the laptop / drive with everyone since there's at least 2 type of connectors it could be USB 2 or maybe PCMCIA connector?

Its USB!
  • Options

Its a dell latitude l400 and yeh it is usb. Il try and search online like you suggest and see if that works, thanks.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    Its a dell latitude l400 and yeh it is usb. Il try and search online like you suggest and see if that works, thanks.

No we mean the model of the external device?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe you could go to the site of the company that made the drive, and see if there's any drivers for win2000 there.
  • Options
    Post me the unit make and model number and i will post the up-to-date drivers for you. After you install the drivers on your lappy all shall work
  • Options
    If you tell us the make / model of the cd/rw drive we'll find the drivers for you. We don't have anything better to do :)

edit - beaten to it
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Post me the unit make and model number and i will post the up-to-date drivers for you. After you install the drivers on your lappy all shall work

Ok the make and model of the device is matshita ujda720 cdrw/dvd. I have been messing around with it for ages now, thanks for offering to help cause id never have figured it out.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    Ok the make and model of the device is matshita ujda720 cdrw/dvd. I have been messing around with it for ages now, thanks for offering to help cause id never have figured it out.

The drivers are a bit hard to find on the net as Matshita are apart of the Panasonic division so any support is a bit scarce.

Attached are the firmware and driver files i ahve found, there wasn't alot of information on the site so it will be hit or miss if it is compatible or not.

Firmware

Driver

To install the driver, right click My Computer - Hardware tab - Device manager. Right click the Device and select properties - driver tab and select update driver, point the directory to where you saved the sys file.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help i have just tried doing what you said but whenever i try and point the directory to where i've saved the system file it appear empty. I have tried it with various different files and its the same. I don't know what else to do-whether to contact the person i brought it off or keep looking.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    Thanks for your help i have just tried doing what you said but whenever i try and point the directory to where i've saved the system file it appear empty. I have tried it with various different files and its the same. I don't know what else to do-whether to contact the person i brought it off or keep looking.

I did think the file may be a bit dodgy. Contacting the person you bought it off is the best idea, as he/she should have a software disk that came with the drive, they shouldn't of sold it without. However i have emailed Panasonic for you, it will prob take a few days for a reply but they should direct me or send me the correct files.

Sorry there aint much else i can do, drivers seem a bit scarce, not sure if anyone else on this board is able to get them
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    I did think the file may be a bit dodgy. Contacting the person you bought it off is the best idea, as he/she should have a software disk that came with the drive, they shouldn't of sold it without. However i have emailed Panasonic for you, it will prob take a few days for a reply but they should direct me or send me the correct files.

Sorry there aint much else i can do, drivers seem a bit scarce, not sure if anyone else on this board is able to get them

Thank you so much for all of your help, everyhting you have done has helped beleive me. I have emailed the person i got it off so just waiting for a reply. I apprciate you emailing panasonic for me and hopefully i will get it sorted in the next few days.
  • Options
    Hi, just to update...i have received the drivers on a floppy disk today from the people i purchased it off. The problem is i can't get them to install on my laptop. I copied them onto my memory stick on my desktop pc because my laptop doesn't have a floppy disk drive and did what smitherz said to install it (thanks) but it won't work. I don't know what else to do, wheher to just send the stupid laptop back and try to get my money back. I seems to be problem after problem and 3 weeks after purchasingit i still can't use it!