Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to ask for more money?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone.

I've been working for my current employer for 3.5 years now, and generally enjoy the job and the roles I have.

However, over the last couple of weeks I have been approached and offered a job (similar to what I am doing now) which offers a much better package... higher salary, more holidays, better offices, etc. The salary is actually 5k more than what I earn now, which is a serious amount that forces me to seriously consider the move... the thing is, if my current boss matches that, I would stay.

So, I have a meeting booked today to talk to my boss. I'm going to explain that I have been offered a new job and am considering what to do. I'm going to angle it so that telling him now, is at least putting him in the picture rather than dumping it all in one go - I'm the only employee in my department! What I want to know, is how can I approach the subject of if he offered me more money that I would stay - he may just say it, but...

... how do I bring it up?

Comments

• Options
    Infernoid wrote:

I'm going to angle it so that telling him now, is at least putting him in the picture rather than dumping it all in one go

i think this is a good idea - and try reading this article for some tips.

It can be hard to have this kind of conversation, but remember you have to look after your own best interests, so take a deep breath and broach it! Good luck!
  • Options
    Although I always feel a bit scared offering advice about things I've never experienced, I think to bring the subject up, I would just mention sensitively "I do like/love/enjoy working here, and don't particularly, but the money they are offering is very generous and would be extremely helpful to me..." which would leave it opene ended for him to either offer you the money or just brush it off.

As I always say though, if someone else contradicts me, go with their answer :lol: Good luck though :)
  • Options
    I would just say you've been offered this fab new job, but you'd prefer to stay where you are as you really love the company/work/other sucky-up reason, and is there any way they can match it. You don't ask, you don't get, and the fact that another company is so interested in you is fantastic leverage.

Even if they can't match it, you will have given them the heads up that they need to replace you.