Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who would like to piss on my parade? :p

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today my mum took me out for 1/2 hour driving her automatic car. I've never sat in a car before, but ride motorbikes frequently. Now, after getting used to the idea of no clutch (putting it in 'drive' i.e. gear without having the clutch in was a bit scary) I drove off... and my mum said she was literally amazed at how good I drove, as if I'd been driving for years! Said everything was perfect, except for the fact I didn't feed the steering wheel through.

Now, I mentioned this to two people who are driving and they automatically said 'ohhh its an automatic, thats why'. So anyone else wanna say driving perfectly first time (even if it was a bloody automatic) is not impressive. I feel rather smug. But in all honesty, apart from my friends bruised ego who took a lot of lessons and a lot of time to pass (I saw her driving after she'd had 15 lessons and she was trembling along), how much more difficult is driving a stick than an automatic? I mean, I'm used to the gears on a bike so maybe it wouldn't be that bad?

Sorry, I know I sound incredibly cocky, but I do have a kinda valid question... you see my mum has taken my brothers / others out in her automatic and said their first times they were going slowly, but I was like a natural.

Sorry, it must be the first compliment she's paid me in a while :( and its annoying how people say it doesn't count cos its an automatic. Like a 'duck to water' my mum said!!! So grrrrrr!! I need to get another livejournal... anyway, my question - is a manual really 1000 times harder than an automatic, especially when you understand the concepts of gears already (although they are slightly different on a bike).

Comments

• Options
    Heh, you're bringing back memories of the first time I drove a car properly. My Dad had taught me the physical side of things from an early age. And now I can't really say any more, as I was just a little bit naughty in my youth. :)

Driving is easy, you'll pick it up easily. Especially if you already understand clutch and gears from using the bike - just the limbs change somewhat. :)
  • Options
    Ok, i'll piss on it. :p
    Driving an automatic is nothing like driving a manual and its a lot harder having to change up and down gears while completing manouvers than to just concentrate on the manouver in an automatic.

To be honest you would still most likely find driving a manual car easier than most because you've got a lot of experience on the road and thats the majority of learning in driving lessons. Getting to grips with a car is pretty easy after a bit of practice whereas learning how other road users react and what to do in certain situations can take years of practice (which you already have).
    Automatics are like driving toy cars really and you dont get that satisfying feeling when putting your foot down and switching up the gears on an open strech of road :D
  • Options
    Yea, I didn't like not having the control, it was very 'drive by wire'. While doing manouvres on my bike I normally only use 1st (I mean like, u turns etc.), I understand you have reverse on a car i.e. doing 3 point turns but oh well we'll see :D

I'm think i'm going to book with http://ukdrive.net/ when I'm at uni - first 5 hours for £60 then block book 10 for £150... a lot cheaper than down here in Leicester where £20 a lesson is a good rate these days.
  • Options
    yeah, £20 is about the going rate around these parts as well. That company look pretty good! :thumb:
  • Options
    Well, actually I think the "hardest part" at driving is shifting gears. It's not really tough, but you still need practice. I don't know anything about bikes, but you have to throw in 1st gear you have to step of the clutch not to quickly, but at the same time give gas, which is like left foot pulling to you, and right foot pushing in. It's a bit of multitasking thing, but still not that hard.

I have problems with starting to drive with clutch on uphill street tho. We have a garden on a 'mountain, and it's all stoney and muddy and you need the hand-break at least on the 4th tooth or you will roll backwards. Now you have to hold the handbreak, give at least 3k tours and clutch in SLOWLY and let the clutch grind a bit, otherwise the transmission which is not turning will decelerate your engine tours and the motor will die.

Since I am crap with multitasking I nearly burnt off my fathers cluth-coating twice.

sorry for the crappy english, I need to look all the technical stuff up. driving on a straight line is not difficult, but it gets a bit harder when you drive towards crossings, everywhere cars, you can't estimate who has precendence, you forget to shift and the motor will die etc etc.

It adds up, yeah, but it's not magic.
  • Options
    I find the actual changing of gears is easy its more about knowing when to change them and when not to, then there are exceptions to those rules...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    I find the actual changing of gears is easy its more about knowing when to change them and when not to, then there are exceptions to those rules...

yeah, easy as a childs birthday...

I was talking about when I was still learning to drive. I am pretty versatile on driving steep uphills, on stoney and muddy fields, giving "in-between-gas" when you need to shift back from 2nd to 1st gear so it doesn't hop all too much when the road is very steep uphill etc.

but we all started at one time, and because I learned driving with a diesel I had the bad habit of giving NO gas at all when clutching in the 1st gear, but just slooowly do it.
  • Options
    Well I was in traffic / junctions and it was all a bit of a doddle. Except whoever thought of self cancelling indicators? Ridiculous! Gears on a bike are exactly like that, except instead of a stick you have a pedal that you shift down and up (for example, my gears are 1 down and 4 up, i.e. 5 gears) - but according to my brother who I've been trying to teach on a bike, it's trickier to get the bite than on a car. (he got it in the end though, but seems to forget about the brakes... what is it with people thinking if they put their feet down they can stop a bike?? lol)

Will just have to wait for my first proper driving lesson in a manual :). Can't wait!!
  • Options
    Tbh, although I'd gguess driving an automatic is easier than a manual.... I don't want to piss on your bonfire so well done for doing so well! :D
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I think it sounds pretty good. Automatic is easier than driving a manual, but if you understand the concept of gears you should be ok.
  • Options
    I think it's more to do with you having used a bike for a while than the car being an automatic. Having ridden the bike you will be used to where to look on the road, reacting to the environment etc.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I think it's more to do with you having used a bike for a while than the car being an automatic. Having ridden the bike you will be used to where to look on the road, reacting to the environment etc.
    yep, I think so too. I think a huge part of driving is having road sense and being confident, highway code etc. Youll already have a huge headstart with that cos of the motorbikes. Well done anyway.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    An automatic is a complete different driving experience from a manual. Not only do you have gear changing but there is also clutch control from hill starts etc...... When learning i don't think that this is the hardest part because you can pick it up quickly, its the facts that you need to know your highway code, checking mirrors, gear changing, steering etc and these all need to be done at the same time.
  • Options
    A parade. Is that what you call yours? I wouldn't piss on it, mate. :p