Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

International Dialing codes

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
A'right. I am trying to call my parents mobiles in Tunisia, 'cos they be there on Holiday.

So I looked up the international code. It says that I have to put 00 and 216 infront of the number, as I could get nothing just calling it as is (well, duh).

So anyway. I tried this. Failed. Didn't even call it, just dialed then cancelled. so I tried just 216. Nope.

Anone got some ideas like? Adding 71 (another area code thing apparently for Tunisia) result in someone who wasn't my parents. Probabl some poor confused Tunisian chap. Appologies to him, although he would probably not understand them.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All I know is that international calls always begin with 00. And I think there are only two numbers after the 00 and before the in-country number, but I'm not sure about that. For example, for the UK it's 0044 and for Greece it's 0030.
    So maybe you misread and it's not 216 but just two numbers (71 would fit)?

EDIT: I just noticed you're calling their mobiles. If they're UK mobies you should call them just like you do when they're in the UK. The only reason I can think of why this wouldn't work is if they've not enabled their mobiles to work from outside the UK.
  • Options
    I cross-checked the code on many sites.
    http://www.kropla.com/dialcode.htm
    ^ It is 216. I am calling from the UK so add 00?

Calling it normally without a code results in not getting through, annoyingly. Only reason I could think was that it needed a code?

Their mobiles do work outside the UK. My Dad is often working outside, so it was needed for him, and my mums has been enabled.

Either that or the fools have turned them off. Wouldn't supprise me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Calling it normally without a code results in not getting through, annoyingly. Only reason I could think was that it needed a code?
    If they're UK mobiles, it doesn't. But if it works in the same way I'm familliar with, there's a catch: Both you and the person you're calling will be charged for the call. So maybe they've run out?
  • Options
    If they're UK mobiles, it doesn't. But if it works in the same way I'm familliar with, there's a catch: Both you and the person you're calling will be charged for the call. So maybe they've run out?

Contract, not pay-as-you-go.

Meh. I reackon that they've turned them off then. God, thats a pain in the arse. I thought they took phone chargers for a reason! Obviously not.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hang on am I getting this right - Gerbil - your trying to phone your parents on their UK mobile phones???

Then you just dial the number as normal you dont' need to put any codes in front of the number - the cleaver mobile phone companies just do it all for you.

However you need to bear in mind that many other countries dont' have mobile phone systems which are as sophisticated as ours so you may well have to try a lot to get through. When I was in colombia a couple of weeks ago even though i had full signal on my mobile when my husband phoned 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't go through - so you just have to keep on trying.

If your calling a landline actually in tunisia or a tunisian mobile phone (I'm guessing its highly unlikely your parents bought themselves a brand new local tunisian phone for their holiday) then its different.
  • Options
    When you call their UK number are you dialling it as +447... or just 07... not sure if it would make a difference but woth a try.
  • Options
    If you are trying to call your parents on their British mobile phone number this is what you have to do,

If their number was 07717773675 for example you have to make the number 00447717773675.
    ie. you have to remove the first zero and add 0044 to the start of their number. As someone already pointed out you can also use +44 instead of 0044.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    When you call their UK number are you dialling it as +447... or just 07... not sure if it would make a difference but woth a try.

It would only make a difference if you were both abroad.
  • Options
    I phoned my friend on her mobile in Turkey earlier on and didnt add anything to the number.