Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Installing a phone line in rented property

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Gosh it's been a while since I posted anything here!

I've a quick question, wondered if anyone could help:

I've just moved into to a newbuild property which I'm renting on a minimum 6 month contract. Because it's new build, there is no phone line installed there. There are BT phone sockets in the flat but no connection.

My landlord is refusing to install a phone line to the flat and BT want £125 for the installation. I feel it is unfair for me to have to pay this charge since it is a one-off charge and once paid, all future tenants will have access to a phone line.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could persuade the landlord to pay this? So far, I am using the argument that my tenancy agreement says I am only responsible to pay telephone charges for the period of my agreement. My argument is that the installation charge goes beyond the period of my agreement and so I shouldn't have to pay. Doesn't seem to be getting me very far though.

Comments

• Options
    You can't persuade him, been there, tried that.

It's not part of the contract and so it's your responsibility. When you leave, the connection can be disconnected by BT anyway.
  • Options
    I'd ask the land lord if he's pay for half the cost - you never know - having a landline in there makes it easier for them to rent it out to the next person that comes along.
  • Options
    Fucking hell. £125? I though £75 was bad enough.

What about one of the other providers?
  • Options
    Fucking hell. £125? I though £75 was bad enough.

What about one of the other providers?

Quite.

Or, even better, maybe the OP should just use their mobile, assuming they have one and put the £125 towards the cost of that, as if they're only going to be there 6 months that charge is just money down the drain.
  • Options
    Are you sure it's that much? If there are already BT sockets there, there should just be a connection charge. My friend had to have the full installation done which was that much, but it should only be about £50 to get it reconnected...
    I's also look at other phone providers if there are already sockets...
  • Options
    It's not BT that make the charge, it is the network owner, Openreach.

Whoever you rent your line from, be it BT or TalkTalk, you will need to pay Openreach to install the network in your property. There is no way around it, and Openreach are not flexible on their prices.

I wouldn't bother for a rental property, unless you're going to be there years. It should be the landlord's responsibility, but isn't.
  • Options
    The cable providers don't rent from BT, do they?

Mind you, then the parasite would whinge about them drilling holes to put the cables in.
  • Options
    We had to pay the robbing barstewards :p last october too. We are still paying it infact.
  • Options
    BT (as a group) do still own Openreach, but BT (as a telephone provider) are not Openreach, and have no control over Openreach prices.

Confused? Don't know why, it's clear as mud.

Cable providers don't use the Openreach network, but they have their own installation fees.
  • Options
    I figured this would be the response. Oh well, worth a try.

For the record, I don't even want a telephone line - my mobile is much cheaper anyway, all I want is the internet!

And I can't look at other providers as landlord has stated it has to be a BT line or nothing.

Oh well, will just have to without!
  • Options
    Get skype? Then you can get a phone number which people call you on, and can make calls to housephones as well, just need to top it up.

But for £125 that would get you lots and lots and lots of calltime.
  • Options
    Get skype?

And how the chuff do you intend to get skype to work without an internet connection?

If the landlord specifies which provider, he should pay for it.